Adding Circuit Breakers

Old 02-18-10, 09:06 AM
Adding Circuit Breakers

I have a GE Breaker Panel TM4020C. All the breaker slots have been used and I now have need to add addition circuits. This panel uses 1" breakers and the GE type QP breaker which is 1/2" will not work in this panel. Is there a 1/2 (piggy back) breaker that fits this panel? If not is there another solution?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-10, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by chajames View Post
I have a GE Breaker Panel TM4020C. All the breaker slots have been used and I now have need to add addition circuits. This panel uses 1" breakers and the GE type QP breaker which is 1/2" will not work in this panel. Is there a 1/2 (piggy back) breaker that fits this panel? If not is there another solution?

Thanks
Not sure about the breakers. But if they did make a piggy back it would be pricy as most tandem breakers are. I would just add a subpanel. Probably the easiest thing to do and relativly inexpensive.

Old 02-18-10, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
Looking at your catalog number I want to say it is a 20 space, 40 circuit panel. Can you see what breakers are approved for this panel on the label? Do you see THQP anywhere?

Old 02-18-10, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by chajames View Post

Thanks
You probably mean type THQP and not QP. As was mentioned, check the label, it is usually on the inside of the door. There should be a section which lists breakers that are U.L. Listed to be installed in this panel. For example, I would imagine it lists types THQL, TQL, THQP, etc. I also believe this is a 20 space, 40 circuit panel. GE doesn't make a tandem breaker, but uses the type THQP thin breakers instead.