Fried appliance due to wrong voltage?

Old 02-20-10, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Fried appliance due to wrong voltage?

Hi All,
I have to say straight up that I'm totally clueless about anything to do with electrical issues and because of that I have landed myself in trouble. So the question is...if I have plugged an appliance that operates on 110V into a 230V outlet, does that mean I have instantly fried it and must now throw it away or is there some way I can salvage it? Thanks in advance for any answers offered.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-10, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
What was the appliance and how did you plug a 120 volt cord into a 240 receptacle?

To avoid situations like this the plugs and receptacles are voltage specific.

Old 02-21-10, 09:21 AM
Red face

It was a Full Cushion Massager that I bought through Ebay from the US. I live in Norway and therefore used a travel plug adaptor.

Old 02-21-10, 09:34 AM
it's fried

yeah, generally the minute you turn it on, it get fried with in a few seconds , sometimes it will work for a brief period of time.

there are NEMA specs for us outlets and cord caps to prevent the wrong voltage mismatches, and on jobsites it not uncommon for a guy when plugging in to a temporary spider box ( a power distribution box ) to lop off part of the ground lug on a twist lock ( 120v 20amp ) in order for it to fit into a 240v volt 20 amp twist lock socket ( since it will be the only one not used ). Then their tool ( a skilsaw for example ) practically jumps out of their hand from the voltage as the torque really kicks the saw hard, then sparks, then smokes up dead.. Of course when it comes to seeing how it could have possibly fried it ( they try to blame the electricians ), I'll inspect he lopped off lug on the twist lock cord and smile... I then chop off the cord end in question and say don't ever do that again.

Old 02-21-10, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by petersweet68 View Post
It was a Full Cushion Massager that I bought through Ebay from the US. I live in Norway and therefore used a travel plug adaptor.

As long you use the voltage adaptor it may be ok but between the USA and Norway there is big diffrence on HZ the USA use 60 HZ while we in Europe use 50 HZ { I am in France }

The other thing is if that have stepdown transfomer aka wallwart may got fried as well so get correct wallwart with proper secondry setting it may work but I can not garranute if that is salageable or not.

Merci, Marc

Old 02-21-10, 02:17 PM
I appreciate your feedback
Merci Marc.