Do I need a staple?

Old 02-20-10, 04:59 PM
Do I need a staple?

Due to A/C ductwork between one pair of joists I have to go from a bored hole through a joist to going on the surface of joists (across a running board) to back through a hole. So basically in the four joists in this section, the beginning and end have bored holes while I'm crossing the middle two on a running board. My question is that since the distance the wire is not in a hole is less than the 4.5' that requires a staple, do I need to put a staple on the running board? It's not a big deal either way, but I want to do it correctly and also without doing things I don't need to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-10, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
By code you are fine being secured within the 4.5'. I would still staple to the running board. The code is the minimum you can do and have a legal install. You can always do more.

Old 02-20-10, 07:35 PM
Think beyond the letter of the code and to the reason for the specific item. You need to secure the cable to keep it from flopping around. If it is secure with no staples then it is okay, if it flops, even though it is technically secured every 4.5 feet, it needs more securing.