Funky fan wiring. Kinda stuck on what to do

Old 02-21-10, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Funky fan wiring. Kinda stuck on what to do

ok, so I moved into a new house and down in the basement, the previous owner partially finished the basement. He has a double slide switch for a fan. Left side slides up and down to control fan speed and right side slides up and down to control the light.

At the ceiling fixture there is a White wire, a Black wire and a pinkish/red wire. (???)

I wired the black to black, the white to white and the Green Ground wire from the fan to the pinkish/red wire.

I got nothing when I tried the light and I blew the circuit breaker when I tried the fan side. I just disconnected the green form the pinkish/red wire and tried again and just got nothing. So..... I dont know what to do.

Any suggestions before I either kill myself or set the house on fire?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-10, 03:09 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
The "pinkish red" wire is probably red and you probably fried the speed/dimmer controller. Remove the speed/dimmer controller and see how it is wired.

Old 02-21-10, 03:25 PM
Ok, what do I need to look for in "how it is wired"? Anything specific that you're thinking of that I need to look for to verify?

Oh yeah, I should probably add that my fan has 2 black wires coming from it. One for the fan and one for the light kit. Perhaps I should of wired one of those to the pinkish red wire?

Old 02-21-10, 03:54 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Pull the controller from the wall box and verify the wiring. Picture would be great. At the very least tell me how the wiring is done; i.e. cable or individual wires from conduit, if cable then how many wires in each cable and what colors are connected and how. Do the same for the ceiling box.

Old 02-21-10, 04:26 PM
Ok, Ill see what I can do. Ill need to get the wifes digital camera as my camera phone doesnt have a flash and Ill have to kill the power to the switch before I pull it out and I have a basement with almost no windows and where this is at, no natural light gets to it.

Old 02-21-10, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
A lot of times you can pull down just the canopy with out taking down the entire fan. This, hopefully will give you access to the wires.

Old 02-21-10, 06:30 PM
Thanks. The canopy is already down as it's never been up. Its the switch on the wall that I have to pull out now.

Old 02-27-10, 07:38 AM
Ok... been busy with work so now Im just getting back to this,

There are three switches in the wall that share this box. The switch that controls the fan is a sliding switch with two sides. Left side controls the fan, right side controls the light. Out of the back are three wires;

Black - hot wire
Yellow - controls fan
Red - controls lights

And then there is a green wire daisy chained from the other switches that goes to the copper ground wire.

The way it was rigged up is that the yellow wire was connected to the reddish/pink wire in the wall.

The red wire was connected to the hard black wire.

The Black wire was connected to the other black wires that were daisy chained to the other switches.

The white wire coming from the wall was not attached to this switch specifically, but it is connected to the other switches in the wall.

Now, if you can remember, from the ceiling where I am installing this fan, there is a White wire, a Black wire and a pinkish/red wire. The copper wire coming from the ceiling was attached to the ceiling bracket.

Im guessing now that I need to connect the black wire for the lights........ uh........ well, no. Whats the white wire for now.? Crap. Im confused.

any help would be appreciated. I dont necessarily have to have this fancy kind of switch either. A simple On/Off switch would do me just fine. Ill control the fan with the damn chain.

How do I hook this thing up?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by thom71gt; 02-27-10 at 07:39 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 02-27-10, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
The white wire from the fan will connect to the ceiling white.

On the old control the red and yellow were switched hots to the fan and light. You can replace the controller with a single pole switch using the power black from the wall and the red.

The black from the three wire cable will connect to the power black that currently powers the controller. This will mean you need to use the pull chains for the fan operation.

You could just alos replace the controller wire for wire and keep the wall switch controls for both the fan and light.

Old 02-27-10, 10:49 AM
Ok, so I went to home depot and got a simple on/off switch.

for the fan:

I connected both the fan and light black wires together and connected them to the black wire from the ceiling.

White to white

Green to copper.

For the switch in the wall, this is where I am getting confused.

I have available to me, the black wire and the pink wire. That's all. Nothing else. The pink wire should be out of the picture since I didn't use it with the fan.

I hooked the black wire up to one of the places on the switch. I grabbed the green ground from the old switch and grounded it with the other switches.

I turned on the lights and got nothing.

Im confused as to why Im not using the white wire.

Im working on posting pics. Ill post them in a minute

Old 02-27-10, 11:02 AM
ok, I give up..... how do you post pics?

Old 02-27-10, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try this.

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

You should not need to make any changes to the white wire at the switch box. Neutrals are not switched.

Old 02-27-10, 11:32 AM
Awesome. thanks.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5994/walloy.jpg

Ok, for this image of the wall - notice that the white wire is going back over to the right and it's tied in with the other switches.

The pink wire coming out is capped off as it's not being used at the fan., Its useless

The new switch to the left just has the black wire and the ground green wire to it.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9107/switchdi.jpg

This is the switch I have. I have a place for the green ground. The black hot wire and a place for another wire. And THATS where I am comfused. I dont have another wire. the pink is out and there is no white wire.

Old 02-27-10, 12:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks like the black wire towards the bottom of the box that is unconnected needs to go to power the switch.

Old 02-27-10, 12:10 PM
Are you talking about the one I have an arrow to in the image?

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7186/switch2.jpg

Thats not a black wire. Thats part of a ground copper wire that is tied in with a bunch of other copper wires back in the back of the box (see red circle) that is eventually tied in with the ground green wires through a daisy chain with the other switches.

Im guessing that if I take that white wire that is back there, untangle it from wherever its tied to and connect that to the switch that it will work then.

Ill try that and if I dont get fried, Ill report back what has happened.

Old 02-27-10, 12:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes that was the wire.

You said there was a black hot wire connected to the old controller. What is it doing now?

Right now it looks like there is no power going to your switch.

Old 02-27-10, 12:33 PM
The black wire coming out of the old switch is just about a 3 inch length coming out of the switch. It was tied in with a black wire from the other two switches.

I think though that i now have another problem. I took my volt meter and put one end on the black wire going to the new switch and the other to the white wire that I disconnected from the glob of white wires and I got nuthin. No power

This electricity crap is hard if you havent studied it. i have to hand it to you all.

Old 02-27-10, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you disconnect a white from the group of white you will not have a complete circuit. The white is the return path for the electric.

If you need to lengthen the short black you can additional wire of the proper size and color.

Old 02-27-10, 04:37 PM
HA HA!!!! Success!!!!!

Completed the circuit putting the white one back. Hacked off the black wire from the dead switch and used it on the new one to tie into the other black ones and voila!!! It Worked.

Thank you all for your help and patience.

Thom