Doorbell doesn't work below 32F

Old 02-22-10, 08:55 AM
Doorbell doesn't work below 32F

The doorbell of my 1970 built house does not work once the outdoor temp fall below about 35F. I replaced the pushbutton, thought maybe a fresh connection and contacts would help but it didn't. There must be a connection that loses contact at cold temps but I don't know where else to look. It is the chime type. I can see a transformer at the side of the service entrance but I'm not sure if that's for the doorbell or something else.

Suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-10, 09:36 AM
When the problem re-occures ,By-pass the button by connecting the two wires directly together, and check for voltage at the connection terminals on the chime. You'll need a meter that reads 16 volts AC.

One or two door-buttons ?

Old 02-22-10, 10:40 AM
There is only 1 door button. Reads 0 volts with the button leads connected.

Old 02-22-10, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Reads 0 volts with the button leads connected
Is that at the chime? What does it read at the transformer?

Old 02-22-10, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Is that at the chime? What does it read at the transformer?
Yes, 0 volts across the 2 wires connected to the chime solenoids, one labeled front and the other trans. There is 19.3 volts across the terminals of the only transformer on the service entrance.

Old 02-22-10, 02:48 PM
If we may view the wiring in the form of 2-wire "cables" , then let's consider some possibilities: two 2-W cables at the chime, one from the door-button, one from the transformer--- two 2-W cables at the transformer, one from the D-B, the other from the chime-- three 2-W cables at a splice-point , one from the DB, one form the chime, one from the transformer.

You will have to test for voltage at whichever connection-point there is.

Good Luck!!

Old 02-23-10, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by PATTBAA View Post
If we may view the wiring in the form of 2-wire "cables" , then let's consider some possibilities: two 2-W cables at the chime, one from the door-button, one from the transformer--- two 2-W cables at the transformer, one from the D-B, the other from the chime--
There are two 2-W cables (each pair is red/white) coming into the chime. The only transformer I can find, which is on the electrical panel, has one pair of black & white wires leaving it which are not encased on brown sheathing like the pairs coming into the transformer. They go into a hole in the floor right above the panel that is nowhere near the chime.

Now I'm wondering if that transformer is for something else and the doorbell transformer is at another location.

Old 02-23-10, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Can you post a picture of the transformer?
There is 19.3 volts across the terminals of the only transformer on the service entrance
A bit high for a chime transformer but a bit low for an axillary transformer but not that far of for either. Look behind the chime. Sometimes the transformer is in a Jbox behind the chime.

Yes, normally an auxillary transformer should be at or near the equipment and the voltage is low but just considering possibilities.

Old 02-24-10, 05:32 AM
Can you post a picture of the transformer? A bit high for a chime transformer but a bit low for an axillary transformer but not that far of for either. Look behind the chime. Sometimes the transformer is in a Jbox behind the chime.
That 19.3v transformer on the service entrance is for the furnace/AC control. I was able to trace the wires.

The two pair of wires from the chime go into the wall. Can't tell for sure but I think they go up into unheated attic space. If the transformer is up there, that would explain why the bell stops working in cold temperatures. I'm going to try to find it today but if it's buried in the insulation, it may be difficult.

Old 02-24-10, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
If it isn't behind the chime and is in the attic look on the side of the attic light Jbox.

Old 02-24-10, 09:56 AM
Maybe I missed something but have your checked the voltage in your bell area? You should have 2 sets of wires in this area and what I did read you tie the wires together on your doorbell switch and checked for voltage like that and didn't get anything. What if your wires are bad from your doorbell button to your chime. Check for voltage on each set of wires going to your chime box. So unhook each set of wires going to your chime box. You'll have a red/white on 1 set and the same with the other set. Check each set and then see if you get anything out of them. Unhooking the wires like this also takes away anything that could be loading down the system. Let us know if you find anything.
Thanks!
Jim

Old 02-26-10, 08:18 AM
If it isn't behind the chime and is in the attic look on the side of the attic light Jbox.
I probably shouldn't have called it an attic. It's just the space above ceiling, not an attic that you can walk in or store things in. Access is thru a 2x2 opening.

There is no light in there nor is there any junction box that I've ever seen. When I added insulation several years ago, I don't recall seeing any boxes or transformers other than the boxes for the 2 ceiling light fixtures.

I have decided to wait until it gets a little warmer before I venture in there with my shop light and mask to look for the transformer.

Old 02-26-10, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
I probably shouldn't have called it an attic. It's just the space above ceiling, not an attic that you can walk in or store things in. Access is thru a 2x2 opening.

There is no light in there nor is there any junction box that I've ever seen. When I added insulation several years ago, I don't recall seeing any boxes or transformers other than the boxes for the 2 ceiling light fixtures.

I have decided to wait until it gets a little warmer before I venture in there with my shop light and mask to look for the transformer.
Check in your basement in the ceiling area. If you have any junction boxes down there it will be on the side of it. Most of the time it's on a pull chain light. I've seen a lot of them like that downstairs.

Jim
Beer 4U2