Another undercabinet lighting question

Old 02-22-10, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another undercabinet lighting question

I'm in the middle of tearing out our current backsplash and counter tops, the installers will arrive March 3rd to begin their work. I have already purchased several xenon thin style lights to mount under the cabinets. Since I already have the backsplash tore out I will have easy access for wiring most of the lights. I have a few questions regarding the wiring and may end up calling in a professional. Either way, I'd like to know how it should be done. My questions are:

1. Where to find a power source? I have a reccessed light above the sink with the switch along the backsplash that is easily accessible. I don't think I can tap into any of the outlets above the counter next to this switch can I? If I use the light switch for power should I direct this to a junction box inside the bottom cabinets? Another outlet is on the end bar under the counter on the side of the cabinets. Also, the electrical panel in the finished basement is right below the kitchen.

2. After the wiring is complete and I fix the drywall, does it have to be mudded thouroughly or are seams okay left unfinished? They will be using 12" granite tiles along the backsplash.

By sierra54, shot with DSC-P100 at 2010-02-21

While removing tile I found this box of wires. Not sure what it's there for.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-10, 12:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by sierra54 View Post
I have a reccessed light above the sink with the switch along the backsplash that is easily accessible.
The lighting circuit is okay to tap as long as it is not also the receptacle circuit.

I don't think I can tap into any of the outlets above the counter next to this switch can I?
That is correct. The outlets which feed the countertops are part of the small-appliance branch circuits, which are allowed to power only receptacles in the kitchen, dining or pantry areas.

If I use the light switch for power should I direct this to a junction box inside the bottom cabinets?
Most undercabinet lights it's best to just leave the romex sticking right out of the wall and it will go right into the light fixture via a box connector clamp.

After the wiring is complete and I fix the drywall, does it have to be mudded thouroughly or are seams okay left unfinished?
You'll have to ask your tile contractor to be sure, but I believe you only need to tape the seams and perhaps do one rough coat over the tape to fill the taper at the ends of the drywall sheets. I also believe that it's preferred to use the stronger setting-type joint compound (bagged powder) rather than the pre-mixed drying type compound (bucket) when tile will be applied.

While removing tile I found this box of wires. Not sure what it's there for.
It's just a splice box, but it should remain accessible in the future. It should have a blank faceplate on it.