Neutrals Q

Old 02-23-10, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Neutrals Q

The stairs light is controlled by two 3-ways, power coming to the first switch and the light connected to the second.

Im tapping power [unswitched] from the first 3-ways to feed a switched receptacle.
The receptacle's switch and the second 3-ways are located in the same box.

In this box I have a14/3 from the first 3-ways ,a 14/2 for the stairs light,another 14/2 the feed from the first 3-ways and another 14/3 for the receptacle.

Regarding the four Neutrals should I connect them all four together or should I treat them like two separate systems and connect two and two[ 3-ways with light Neutral and feed with receptacle Neutral]
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-10, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If all the neutrals are on the same circuit (same breaker) yes. If two are more circuits are present the neutrals are not tied together. All grounds even if separate circuits however are always tied together.

Old 02-23-10, 01:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Just make sure not to confuse the three-way switch circuit white wires with the neutrals. The white in the 14/3 between the three-way switches is actually a switched hot traveler which should be marked with a hot color (black,red,blue).

You also need to make sure none of your neutrals or hots are paralleled between boxes. I didn't completely follow the description of what goes where, but when you have multiple cables between two boxes it can get confusing.

Old 02-23-10, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Just make sure not to confuse the three-way switch circuit white wires with the neutrals. The white in the 14/3 between the three-way switches is actually a switched hot traveler which should be marked with a hot color (black,red,blue).

You also need to make sure none of your neutrals or hots are paralleled between boxes. I didn't completely follow the description of what goes where, but when you have multiple cables between two boxes it can get confusing.
Actually. because he has Power at one 3way and the light at the other 3 way, all the neutrals to get tied together, he needs to send the neutral to the other box for the light to work. His travelers are red and black.

Old 02-24-10, 10:00 AM
Thank you for replies

Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
You also need to make sure none of your neutrals or hots are paralleled between boxes.
ibpooks sorry but Im not sure if you are refering to hots or neutrals from different circuits.
The four cables coming into the box are in the same circuit and by tying all the neutrals together the 3-ways and the receptacle feed neutrals will be paralleled .
Is this correct?

Thank you again

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 02-24-10 at 10:07 AM. Reason: fixed quote box