Kid + keys + receptacle, now breaker won't reset

Old 02-23-10, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kid + keys + receptacle, now breaker won't reset

Hello-

It's been a while.

Last night my 4 year old stuck a key in one of the only receptacles in my house that did not have a cover

She was shocked pretty good, we took her to Johns Hopkins for a burn to her hand, EKG and all the tests. Thank God, she is fine.

Anyhow, on to the electrical problem. It did not trip the breaker, but another breaker is now tripped. I was not home when it happened, so I cannot be sure if the incident and the breaker happened at the same time (6:30 pm last night.) My brother who lives me believes that when he got home from work (9:30), the lights associated with the tripped breaker were working. However he cannot guarantee it.

So, I don't know if the events are related or coincidental, and am not sure if the breaker needs replacement, or if it is something else. Advise please.

My Panel was replaced two years ago and is 200 amp Cutler Hammer. I have added breakers, and do not mind replacing this one if that is what needs to be done, but I do not want to go that route if that is not the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-10, 05:03 PM
The way you descrbing this one sound like you have MWBC { multi wire branch circuit } you will need to find both breaker and shut it off and check all connections after a pretty good short one of the connections at the receptale or wirenuts can get loosen up after good short circuit.

I am glad that your daughter came out ok after check up with Hopstail.

If you don't mind tell me what circuit that serve in that room or what ??

Merci,Marc

Old 02-23-10, 05:14 PM
TP outlets

Originally Posted by french277V View Post
The way you descrbing this one sound like you have MWBC { multi wire branch circuit } you will need to find both breaker and shut it off and check all connections after a pretty good short one of the connections at the receptale or wirenuts can get loosen up after good short circuit.

I am glad that your daughter came out ok after check up with Hopstail.

If you don't mind tell me what circuit that serve in that room or what ??

Merci,Marc
Just a side note. I think it would be wise to replace your recepticles with tamperproof ones. Shutters block the outlet from foriegn objects and will not open unless a plug is inserted into the outlet. Possible another wise investment would be arc-fault circut breakers.

Old 02-23-10, 05:14 PM
Glad to hear that your 4 year old is okay!

I've seen it posted in this forum that a breaker that won't reset is most likely a fully functional breaker that is immediatly re-tripping in response to a persistant fault, such as a short, after an attempt to reset it.

I would unplug any appliances on the circuit and then see if it will reset.

Whatever else you do don't try to hold it in the closed position to try and get it to catch.

Old 02-23-10, 05:23 PM
I found the problem.
We have had massive snow storms here in Baltimore recently. A branch fell off of a tree last night, and knocked over an old walkway lamp that I have been meaning to replace. The force knocked the wires loose from the connection, causing the short. I took the lamp off, put wirenuts on the loose wires and wrapped them in tape and sealed the post shut. This is a temporary fix until I can fix it correctly this weekend. The wires look as if there was no play at all to make the connection, so the smallest jostle caused the wires to pull loose.

I picked up two 10 packs of the tamper resistant receptacles from HD on my ride home today. I didn't even know they existed until I was researching the issue last night. I already replaced the one she put the key in and will replace the rest over the coming weeks.

Thanks for the advice! I will tell everyone I know about the TR receptacles!

Old 02-23-10, 05:26 PM
I am glad you found the curpit and you did the wise move to get the TR in there for your safety sake and it is part of 2008 NEC code anyway. { in resdentail it must but commercal the only spot will show up is day care centre or pederatic { childern } office area.

Merci,Marc

Old 02-23-10, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ewheatley View Post
Last night my 4 year old stuck a key in one of the only receptacles in my house that did not have a cover
I highlighted the most important part. If your your talking about a missing cover plate I suggest you fix this first before starting to change out receptacles.

Glad to here she's OK. So much for the career as an electrician.

Old 02-23-10, 06:12 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
I think he meant the plastic plug covers that are used to kid-proof receptacles.

Old 02-23-10, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
I think he meant the plastic plug covers that are used to kid-proof receptacles.
Exactly. Not the cover plate, but the actual safety plugs.