Clicking sounds in wall and outlet

Old 02-24-10, 08:46 AM
Clicking sounds in wall and outlet

My bedroom and my bathroom share a wall. During the night, I hear a fairly loud click every 30 seconds or so coming from the wall. It seems like it is coming from the area of the wall where a GFI outlet is in the bathroom. When I got close to the outlet in the bathroom, I could hear a very faint clicking sound about every second. I am wondering if this is something I should be concerned about and possibly how to fix it. I have no electrical experience so I could certainly call my landlord or an electrician to fix this, but I wanted to find out if this is something dangerous. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-10, 08:55 AM
MacieJ, I would hit the test button on the gfci outlet that trip the breaker on the outlet and then listen again for the sound. that will tell you if it's coming from there.

Old 02-24-10, 09:15 AM
As soon as I get home, I will try that. If it is a problem with that outlet, I'll hear the clicking sound? Could that be a short? Could this possibly start a fire?

Old 02-24-10, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Bucho there is no breaker in a GFCI receptacle but your suggestion is good. First though just plug something into it and see if it works.

Old 02-24-10, 09:20 AM
I had one of the small Ionic Breeze units plugged into it and it was working, however, I unplugged it because I wasn't sure if it was safe. So at the moment, nothing is plugged into it.

Old 02-24-10, 05:27 PM
"I have no electrical experience so I could certainly call my landlord or an electrician to fix this, but I wanted to find out if this is something dangerous"

By all means, don't try to fix it yourself and don't call an electrician, CALL your LANDORD! Now! No one on this site has a clue as to whether this is dangerous or not, we aren't there!

Old 02-24-10, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
There should be a test button on the receptacle like Butcho posted. If the noise is the GFCI, it should be changed. I doubt it is a short as that would likely trip the breaker. It may be a poor connection which could be a fire hazard.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 02-25-10 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-25-10, 06:02 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give my landlord a call.