what is best wire to use?

Old 02-24-10, 04:55 PM
what is best wire to use?

I am remodeling an outside building to make a woodworking shop,it is wired now with triplex from an overhead pole and meter, but I want to run the wire underground to get away from the tree limbs that caused alot of trouble for me during an ice storm a couple of years ago,it will have to run approx. 150ft from pole to shop and be able to run a 220v A/C and woodworking shop equitment,in this area no codes yet out in country they haven't governed yet.Thank you for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-10, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would help if the panel size and the expected demand could be known.

Does this outbuilding have a separate meter or is it fed from another building on the site?

Old 02-24-10, 05:09 PM
If the meter and disconnect is on the pole (that's what I understood you to say), I'd run #2 aluminum direct burial to the building to a new 100 amp main circuit breaker panel. The direct burial should be 4 conductors; 2 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground. Many hardware stores in rural areas carry this direct burial wire for connecting mobile homes.

Old 02-24-10, 05:59 PM
The meter is on the pole and runs the house and shop so wire will have to be dropped from overhead to underground to a new 100amp breaker box and then wire the inside of shop, like before will have 220v a/c with shop tools such as table saw drill press planer/jointer and such on tools.