Can I run wire diagonally in between joists?

Old 02-25-10, 02:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I run wire diagonally in between joists?

I have situation in which it's much more convenient for me to not do a straight run of wires through my joists in one section. After I eventually drill the second hole, the routing will be easier if I make that second hole approximately 1 foot out of line with the initial hole. Is there a problem with doing that? Using a spare piece of romex, I actually ran it through the first hole and took a picture of the proposed configuration:

If it factors into the answer at all, I'm drilling 7/8" holes with the plan for at least two 14/2 and one 12/2 (most likely two 12/2) wires to go through this.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-10, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 127 Votes on 112 Posts
Sure, That's fine code wise. It might be easier to pull if the holes are lined up but to each their own.

Old 02-25-10, 04:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
It might be easier to pull if the holes are lined up but to each their own.
I agree and everywhere else the holes are lined up. This is the exception to my usual rule which is why I wasn't sure if it was ok.

Old 02-25-10, 07:33 PM
Received 60 Votes on 51 Posts
Most electrical inspectors I have had experience with won't allow you to run more than one cable through a single hole. I don't think the NEC addresses this or at least I have never seen it, but I believe some other building codes might. I am thinking BOCA may have prohibited it, not sure about IBC. Could be it's addressed in the "neat workmanlike" language.

Old 02-26-10, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
I don't have the same experience with Casual regarding only allowing one cable per hole.

I was going to suggest just running thru the holes that are already there. Straighter run and no new holes to drill.

Old 02-26-10, 12:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
One cable per hole on a normal 200 amp panel would take up 5' of framing lumber and weaken it so much it wouldn't hold up. I've not had the experience either, luckily (for the inspector, that is)