Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

60 low watt lamps off 3 outlets (5 receptacles) - is it possible??

Old 02-25-10, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone, I'm a biologist and a project I am working on requires running 60 30W incandescent bulbs (each bulb in a brooder lamp) and only have three outlets, five total receptacles in the room. I guess first question is, will your typical 20 (or 15) amp breaker be able to handle this load (all 60 bulbs running at once)? Second, if so, does anyone have any wiring designs in mind? These lights are on shelves so along one wall have three rows of 13 shelves and on side wall have three rows of seven shelves. Its possible that I get five 12-outlet surge protectors, but the design of these (all receptacles clustered) is a little unwieldy for the job. Are there better options out there? Maybe strips to run along each shelf to accommodate all lamps? If so, where can I find these? At Lowes and Home Depot they have these snap-in strips with 6-8 receptacles, but the guy there thought it would be too much load for this setup. Anyone have experience with this long strips and chaining them together? Anyway, any suggestions, opinions would be greatly appreciated. I've wired lots of things in houses before, but have never had to run this many plugs in one place. Thanks!
NOTE: Just found Tripp Lite 24 receptacle surge suppressor that may be a good option, so real big question is can the few receptacles in the room and the associated breaker handle the load?

Last edited by diydoc; 02-25-10 at 09:51 PM. Reason: forgot to include info
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-10, 11:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are looking to run 1800W total, which is 15A. (Amps = Watts / Volts) Assuming it is a 20A breaker, and it does not feed anything else but those five receptacles, you should be fine. If the breaker is 15A or there is anything else on the breaker, it will most likely trip.

The problem with "chaining" power strips is as you add more load along the line, the first strip is carrying the full load. You generally don't want to put more than 5 or 6 amps on any single strip (which generally have a 10A safety breaker built in). So each 'chain' should generally have no more than 600W or 20 bulbs on it (regardless of the total number of outlets you end up with) to avoid overloading the first strip in each chain.