old switch question

Old 02-26-10, 02:53 PM
old switch question

i have an old switch upstairs that i want to rework a bit. i have pulled it from teh wall and encountered some old wires and i am sure wom e old time wiring that i hope is ok to reuse
there were 3 sets of wires in this switch "black and white in" black and white and ground out to light" and one white in" being used as a ground and it's black partner left outside the box in the wall cavity

i tested this "ground wire against the hot and got 115 volts and tested agains all other wires and got no voltage

my question is, can i use this setup again

the worst looking wires in the photo are being replaced (this is the set going to the light now) and the supply wires still have a good outside coating on them, what was inside the box was cloth covered under the outer wrapping and was a bit brittle so i taped both of them

i have attached a link to a photo for some better understanding

thanks for yoru time

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...alquestion.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-10, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
white and ground out to light
A white for ground is not code compliant.
what was inside the box was cloth covered under the outer wrapping and was a bit brittle so i taped both of them
I would suggest replacing both the power cable and fixture cable. I doubt you have a valid code compliant ground and you need one. Then there is the brittle insulation and tape repair to consider. Definitely should have new cable.

Old 02-26-10, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
A white for ground is not code compliant. I would suggest replacing both the power cable and fixture cable. I doubt you have a valid code compliant ground and you need one. Then there is the brittle insulation and tape repair to consider. Definitely should have new cable.
thanks i guess it is going to be a bigger job than i thought. i will have to try and fish a new wire up there somehow

Old 02-26-10, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by billie_boy View Post
thanks i guess it is going to be a bigger job than i thought. i will have to try and fish a new wire up there somehow
If you donít have a fish tape you can use a measuring tape from below. From above assuming no fire stops just use a weighted string. Since there should be no requirement for a metal box I would go back with a plastic old work box. That will use a slightly large hole and make it easier to get your hand in to grab the cable or string..