Strange switch feed line issue

Old 03-02-10, 06:15 AM
Strange switch feed line issue

A tenant reported that a light was out in their apartment. I removed the switch and used a home-made test light to check for power to the switch. There wasn’t any. I then went to the basement to track down the feed wire that was leading up into the bedroom. I found it and followed it to the junction box. I tested the feed wire to the junction box to make sure it had power and then reconnected the line. I then went back up to the switch and found that my test light lit up twice, but not again. I also noticed little sparks as I used the test light and rubbed the wires along the exposed switch wires. The circuit breaker does not trip.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-10, 06:36 AM
It sounds like you may have fixed the problem but blew the bulb in your homemade test light? You would probably get an arc when rubbing the wires with your light.

Old 03-02-10, 06:54 AM
I used the test light in another location after I checked the switch. I thought that the exposed portion of the switch feed wires were corroded? so I scraped them and I was still unable to get the test light to light up. I did see the tiny sparks occasionally again though.

Old 03-02-10, 07:16 AM
If you take the switch out and touch the two wires together can you make the light work? If so replace the switch.

Old 03-02-10, 07:27 AM
The first step I did was to take the switch out and test if power was reaching the switch. Since I can't get the test light to light up with the wires that feed the switch, I am assuming the problem is not with the switch itself, rather, the lines that feed the switch.

Does that make sense? Thanks.

Old 03-02-10, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
The first step I did was to take the switch out and test if power was reaching the switch. Since I can't get the test light to light up with the wires that feed the switch, I am assuming the problem is not with the switch itself, rather, the lines that feed the switch.

Does that make sense? Thanks.
Maybe? On a switch loop with no neutral you would need to test to ground and only one wire would be hot with the switch off or removed. Do you have a switch loop? Did you check to a known good ground?

Old 03-02-10, 07:35 AM
It does make sense so the next step is to make sure the connections at the light and the junction box are good and tight. I usually take them loose and re-connect with new twist on caps. If that doesn't work I would say a new line from the junction to the switch is in order. could be a bad line in the wall.

Old 03-02-10, 09:34 AM
The bedroom contains two outlets that work even when I disconnected the supposed switch feed wire from the junction box. This isn't surprising because most outlet and switch circuits are separate. I also checked the adjacent room switchs (lights) when I have disconnected the supposedly wire that goes to the problem switch. All those lights still work, so I think this switch wire is dedicated for the problem switch.

I have not tested the ground. The cable is BX so there is a ground wire connected to the metal switch box.

How do I test the ground?

I am trying to avoid running a new wire, but I may just have to. Luckily, it is a first floor.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Old 03-02-10, 10:16 AM
What I do, Treefrog is hook my tester to the known hot side of the switch and then to the box.