second circuit box

Old 03-03-10, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile second circuit box

New guy here. I have a 200 amp service and all of the useable slots are filled already, some even have the half size breakers in them already. I want to put in a hot tub and thought the safest way to do that would be install a sub panel off to the side of the main panel then run the 220 line to the outside breaker box for the hot tub. what would be the best way to do this, come off of the main input wires or use a couple of the breaker slots and run the wires thru the side of the box to the new box? Any other suggestions would be really appreciated. The run to the hot tub would be about 20 feet. Thanks Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-10, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil bull View Post
New guy here. I have a 200 amp service and all of the useable slots are filled already, some even have the half size breakers in them already. I want to put in a hot tub and thought the safest way to do that would be install a sub panel off to the side of the main panel then run the 220 line to the outside breaker box for the hot tub. what would be the best way to do this, come off of the main input wires or use a couple of the breaker slots and run the wires thru the side of the box to the new box? Any other suggestions would be really appreciated. The run to the hot tub would be about 20 feet. Thanks Mike
I would install a 100 amp subpanel next to the main panel. You can feed it with some 6/3 romex, making sure you seperate your grounds and neutrals in the sub panel. Feed it off of a 60 amp breaker in your main panel. You could move 2 15amp breakers over to the new sub and feed the hot tub from the sub panel..

Old 03-03-10, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You would generally replace two of the breakers in the main panel with a double-pole feeder breaker to power the adjacent subpanel. You can then move the displaced circuits from the main panel to the sub.

I would actually displace four circuits from the main panel so that the hot tub can also be fed directly from the main panel. It is better to keep large loads in the main panel and general-purpose loads like lighting in the subpanel.

If your main panel is 40 spaces, the tandem (half-size) breakers should also be moved to the subpanel as 40 circuits is the maximum allowed in any one panel.