Ceiling fan/light wiring

Old 03-07-10, 12:52 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan/light wiring

I have a ceiling fan/light combo with 14/3 running to a box that has 14/3 running to a different box where the power is located. I'm wondering if it's possible to put the light on the 3-way switches and then a single-pole switch at the unpowered box and have that just for the fan control? The location of the other switch is by the front door that we never use so running the 14/3 to that box to bring the fan control over there too would not be worth the effort. If it is possible, which wire from the 14/3 3-way switch would I use on the single-pole switch, the black or the red?

Old 03-07-10, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 324 Votes on 278 Posts
Ok, I'm not following you. Could you try again or post a drawing of your existing wiring?

Old 03-07-10, 04:08 PM
D
As crude as this is, I should've done this in the first place since it makes it soo much easier to explain...

The fan/light combo has 14/3 (1) running to the box with A and B. A and C are three way switches connected by 14/3 (2). B is the theoretical single pole switch. C has the incoming power (3). My question is can I have the light coming from the ceiling fan controlled by A and C then have just the fan controlled by B? If the answer is yes, what part of (2) should I connect to B? Would I need to use two wirenuts to create a situation where the two travelers connect to the 3-way individually and then connect to the single-pole as one wire? I tried to picture what I was thinking below. The red and black being pictured are from (2).

Old 03-07-10, 05:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
You cannot add a single pole switch there. You would need to somehow grab power from both of the travelers in order for the single pole switch to have power.

I would suggest you study how three way switches can be wired. You need a diagram of power in, SW1 -- SW2-- light.

Old 03-07-10, 11:28 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
..nevermind.. wont work that way..

Last edited by JerseyMatt; 03-07-10 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Ok, that's better

If you can run a 14/2 between the single box (c) and the two gang (A&B) I can tell you how to wire it the way you want

Old 03-08-10, 09:53 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If adding the cable is not feasible, you can use Insteon communicating switches as the 3 ways. These only require hot and neutral at both switches, no travelers in between. So you would be able to use the extra traveler as the feed for the fan. The switches are $45 apiece, but that may be less than what it would cost to run a new cable between the boxes when you factor in time, work, and materials for drywall replacement.

Old 03-10-10, 05:06 AM
D
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
If you can run a 14/2 between the single box (c) and the two gang (A&B) I can tell you how to wire it the way you want
I have an outlet on the same circuit approximately a foot to the right of the A & theoretical B box. Power is run to it from the basement so it may be easier to add a junction box in the basement, grab the power from there, and run it up the wall. If I do this, would I just connect the neutrals with all the others and then connect the new hot wire and the light wire from the fan 14/3 (wire 2) on the single pole switch?

Old 03-10-10, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
If your going to do that, disconnect the feed in box C and cap off the wires.

With the new feed coming into box AB you will tie the feed white to the 14/3 white going to the fixture, The feed hot will get connected to the single pole switch and the 14/3 white (colored black) that is going to box C.

In box C connect the white (colored black) to the common screw of the 3 way. the black and red of the 14/3 will get connected to either (one each) brass screw.

In box AB, connect the black and red of the 14/3 cable coming from box C to either brass screw (one each) to the 3 way in box AB. Connect the black of the 14/3 going to the light to the common screw of the 3 way and connect the red going to the fan to the last screw on the single pole switch.

In the fan box the black will get connected to the fan wire and the black will get connected to the light wire.

Old 03-13-10, 06:36 AM
D
If your going to do that, disconnect the feed in box C and cap off the wires.
For simplicity of the diagram, I didn't include the other switches in box C. There are actually two other switches for two different lights in box C so power will still need to be run to that box. Can I just leave the 3-way in box C connected to the feed hot and then just connect the new feed hot in box AB to the new single pole?

Old 03-17-10, 12:46 PM
D
Would my proposed wiring work? It would be hot from the new 14/2 feed and fan wire from the 14/3 to one-way switch B. It would be hot to 3-way switch C, travelers to switch A, and then light wire from the 14/3 to switch 3-way switch B.

Old 03-17-10, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry for the delay, I have been out of town.

In your case I suggest wiring the other switches in box C on the existing feed and wire the 3-way in box C as I have described above. It would be better to have only one feed to the switches to the fan/light combo. Even though they may be on the same circuit.

Old 03-17-10, 03:22 PM
D
Sorry for the delay, I have been out of town.
No problem.

It would be better to have only one feed to the switches to the fan/light combo. Even though they may be on the same circuit.
Since it is the same circuit, what's the drawback to having the feeds in separate boxes/benefit to having them in one box? It's simple enough to do it the other way, but I'd like to understand it a little better. If I'm mentally tracing the electrical path correctly, the setup you describe also puts the feed hot at box C except by making it travel along the 14/3 from AB instead of directly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: