underground 1/2" PVC splice

Old 03-08-10, 04:30 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
underground 1/2" PVC splice

Hi,
I would like to cut an existing 1/2" PVC run for some driveway lights to make digging a trench 90* to the PVC easier. I plan on installing 2 splice boxes on each side of the trench to connect the light wires back together once the trench is finished. What would be the correct 1/2" conduit box that can be buried underground afterwards? Or would I have to run a new section of PVC and wire between the lights where the trench will be dug?

Thanks

EDIT: I want to use a regular conduit body with a seal, but I am not sure if they are approved for underground buried connections.

Last edited by turbotech; 03-08-10 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 06:24 PM
Received 99 Votes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotech View Post
Hi,
I would like to cut an existing 1/2" PVC run for some driveway lights to make digging a trench 90* to the PVC easier. I plan on installing 2 splice boxes on each side of the trench to connect the light wires back together once the trench is finished. What would be the correct 1/2" conduit box that can be buried underground afterwards? Or would I have to run a new section of PVC and wire between the lights where the trench will be dug?

Thanks

EDIT: I want to use a regular conduit body with a seal, but I am not sure if they are approved for underground buried connections.
It isn't legal by code to bury a junction box. Conduit bodies are not approved to be buried either.

Old 03-08-10, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 255 Posts
Best thing to do is remove the wire, cut the pipe and install 2 - 90s (one in one out) that will come up into the bottom of the lights. You can also add 2 more 90s to place the light in a location other then where the pipe is. Just make sure to have no more than 4 - 90 degree bends.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: