What do I do with the extra ground wire?

Old 03-09-10, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do I do with the extra ground wire?

Hello,

I am new to DIY and I could really use your help. I am trying to connect a regular two socket outlet. At the outlet I have two sets of wires, each set of wires has a white, black and ground wire. The outlet has space for two sets of white and black, silver and brass connectors, but only one ground. I would appreciate any help you can give on how I can determine which set of wires should be grounded and what I should do about the ground wire on the set that is not grounded.

The problem exists because I opened the outlet some time ago and did not mark the wires. I guess I'll know to mark things next time. Any help you can give in how I can go about solving this would be appreciated.

Thanks, AdamLTxn

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-10, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
You need to pigtail the grounds with a wirenut and then run one ground wire (IE: add a wire) to the ground screw on the outlet.
A handy wire nut to do this with is a green wire nut with a hole in the end for one wire to extend out. Or you could use something like this: IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Term-A-Nut Grounding Wire Connector

Also, if you have a metal box you need to attach a ground wire to that as well.

IMO - it is better to pigtail all the wires to the device because you do not depend on the device as your wire connections. I do give you a for using the side screws rather than the back stabs.

Old 03-09-10, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much Tolyn!

AdamLTxn