Wiring recommendation help

Old 03-09-10, 06:27 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring recommendation help

Hello to all on the forum. I am an inspiring DIY type of guy who is a jack of all trades and master of none.

Looking to wire an outlet in my garage to run an air compressor that is 220-240v, 18.5 amps. I currently have a circuit panel in the garage with plenty of open breaker slots. I have two scenerios for the experts.

1. I have an existing 110 outlet that uses a 12/2 awg wire that runs to a 20a circuit breaker.
Will this wire work for the compressor if I switch the wire to a larger 220v circuit breaker? If so, what would one recommend for a breaker if the compressor is pulling 18.5amps? 25a or 30a breaker.

Or should I just run a whole new line using a different wire and of different gauge pluse a new oulet?

Thank you guys/gals in advance for all the help.

Sincerely,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-10, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by mtburg71 View Post
1. I have an existing 110 outlet that uses a 12/2 awg wire that runs to a 20a circuit breaker.
Will this wire work for the compressor if I switch the wire to a larger 220v circuit breaker?
No. First off you can only put 20 amp breaker on #12 wire. There are some exceptions but I will skip that for now.

Originally Posted by mtburg71 View Post
If so, what would one recommend for a breaker if the compressor is pulling 18.5amps? 25a or 30a breaker. Or should I just run a whole new line using a different wire and of different gauge pluse a new oulet?
The start up current of your compressor will be much greater than the 18.5 running amps. I recommend running a new #10/2 w/Ground cable and using a two pole 30 amp breaker.

Old 03-09-10, 06:39 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tolyn, I appreciate the quick response. Thank you for the input. Now it is time to get some new wire, breaker and the rest of the goodies to make it work. Yes, I will turn off the power to the panel as well.

Thanks,
Mike