two GF circuits in one double gang box?

Old 03-11-10, 12:12 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
two GF circuits in one double gang box?

have two circuits going to jacuzzi tub-one for pump and one for heater. both need GFCI protection and dedicated circuit. have run two 12/2 circuits to area. would like to put GFCI receptacles in closet right next to tub and then run wires to under tub from the "load" side of the GFCI receptacles. Can I put the two circuits into one double gang box with two GFCI receptacles? I know you can have different circuits in same box but being these are GFCI protected I didn't know if that was good idea because I assume I would have to tie all the grounds together (two feeds from panel, two cables going to the recepacles that the heater and pump will plug into, and then two pigtails to go to the GFCI receptacles.) I was just hesitant about tying the grounds together from two separate GFCI circuits? should I put them in separate boxes?

Old 03-11-10, 12:15 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Thumbs up on the plan. All grounds are tied together. You can use faceless GFCIs for the motor and heater.

Old 03-11-10, 12:16 PM
E
Originally Posted by hammerash View Post
have two circuits going to jacuzzi tub-one for pump and one for heater. both need GFCI protection and dedicated circuit. have run two 12/2 circuits to area. would like to put GFCI receptacles in closet right next to tub and then run wires to under tub from the "load" side of the GFCI receptacles. Can I put the two circuits into one double gang box with two GFCI receptacles? I know you can have different circuits in same box but being these are GFCI protected I didn't know if that was good idea because I assume I would have to tie all the grounds together (two feeds from panel, two cables going to the recepacles that the heater and pump will plug into, and then two pigtails to go to the GFCI receptacles.) I was just hesitant about tying the grounds together from two separate GFCI circuits? should I put them in separate boxes?
I dont see a problem with doing it like that. The grounds do all need to be tied together though, thats code. But other than that you should be fine. Since these are specific use GFI's it would be a good idea to use Faceless GFI's. all they are is a gfi device without the outlets. This way nothing can be plugged into them and trip out your hot tub. Just a thought. Good luck.

Old 03-11-10, 12:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Grounds do not affect the functioning of a GFCI. If fact GFCIs are sometimes used without grounds. If they fit put them in the same box and tie the grounds together.

Old 03-11-10, 02:16 PM
H
thanks guys. as you can imagine, the box fill on this is pretty high. two 12/2 in, two 12/2 out, two faceless GFCI (yes, I was probably going to use faceless), and depending on box internal clamp for total of 31.5. not much room to work with regular double gang since the GFCI are so darn big, but I got some nice big 48 cu in double gang boxes!

Old 03-11-10, 07:29 PM
Received 99 Votes on 89 Posts
two faceless GFCI (yes, I was probably going to use faceless)
Those are called "dead front" GFIs.

Old 03-11-10, 07:50 PM
E
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
Those are called "dead front" GFIs.
thats just a matter of trade speak. Both are very common names for that GFI. You say Tomato i say tamoto. hard to write but you get the gist.

Old 03-11-10, 09:04 PM
Never heard them called anything till reading in this forum. Always thought of them as blank face GFCI but then I always said gangable boxes till I heard them called Gem box in this forum, I usually called them pop-in boxes but now thanks to the forum I say old-work, I always.... ok back to the topic.

Old 03-12-10, 09:39 AM
D
Jacuzzi GFCI

If the receptacle box is that full, wouldn't it be a good option to use GFCI circuit breakers for each circuit instead or am I misunderstanding the situation?

Old 03-12-10, 09:49 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by davette59 View Post
If the receptacle box is that full,
It is within code as-is.

wouldn't it be a good option to use GFCI circuit breakers for each circuit instead or am I misunderstanding the situation?
GFCI breakers are 3-4x the price of receptacles, so that's a pretty good incentive to stick with the receptacles.

Old 03-12-10, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by davette59 View Post
If the receptacle box is that full, wouldn't it be a good option to use GFCI circuit breakers for each circuit instead or am I misunderstanding the situation?
It's usually a cost issue or if a very old panel they are not available. In rare cases the panel may be a fuse box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: