Cabe support Q

Old 03-11-10, 09:08 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cabe support Q

Is cable running through holes considered supported?
The hole is about 8'' from the box , can I run the cable directly to the box or does it need to be staple to the joist ?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-10, 08:19 AM
D
wire support

If this is being done where the work will be inspected by a building code official, I beleive the National Electrical code requires the cables to be supported withing a certain distance from the box. I believe it used to be 12 inches but haven't looked at the code recently. The reason for this is to eliminate any strain on the cable at the connector which could possibly cut into the wire. The best way to do this properly would be to leave a little excess cable so that you can make a loop so as to have enough to staple it. Personally I think the way you have it would be fine especially if all will be covered by drywall, however it is always best to go strictly by the NEC requirements.

Old 03-13-10, 02:35 PM
Code requires that the cable be staples within 12" of the box. As far as not doing it because someone may not see it is not the way I would go. There are codes for a reason. I would also get a knockout plug to cover up the hole in the box that is not in use. The purpose of that is to keep out any small animals that might decide the wire is a nice thing to chew on. As far as davette59's advice to close the box behind sheetrock, that is a major code viol,ation and could also be a major headache if you need to access it in the future.

This forum can be very helpful but sometimes people think they are helping by giving good advice but if it is a code violation it can be deadly.

Old 03-13-10, 04:50 PM
R
Thank you for replies
This is not a conceled JB but rather an accesible box in the ceiling for the Smoke Detector.
Thanks for pointing out the open knockout, there are four wires coming to the box and the pic was taken to illustrate the question
I asked the question trying to clarify if a hole withing 12'' of the box is considered support and hopping to get a clear unswer,I guess sometimes that in itself is difficult.
Regards

Old 03-14-10, 07:36 AM
B
Under the CEC, cables run through holes in joists or studs are considered to be supported.

Old 03-14-10, 11:10 AM
R
''Under the CEC, cables run through holes in joists or studs are considered to be supported.''

Buzz thank you ,I wanted to confirm that I dont need to staple the cable if it goes through a hole withinh 12'' of the box ,my install is correct as in the pic.
Regards