Bathroom Fan, Heater and Light

Old 03-13-10, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Fan, Heater and Light

I have a bathroom heater with fan and light. The old unit I removed had same ...Heater light and fan. The old existing wires are romex 20 amp # 12. There are two sets of old wires existing with 2 wire. (hot/ net, hot/ net and yes they have grounds.There is not a three wire running from switch to fan. I think one of the neturals was used as a hot. How do I dertimine which of the neturals is now hot coming from switch. The netural wire was not remarked black....... A seperate question ..this site is really slow and giving me problems. There are boxes on screen that have an x but do not open. What do I need to change on my end to open these applications?

Old 03-13-10, 08:29 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I assume you did not mark the wires - so I would test your wires using a meter.

Clip one meter lead on ground, and the other on one of the black wires. Have someone switch the switch.

If you get voltage on and off, then try each of the white wires, again using ground as a reference. One should show voltage when the switch is toggled.

Old 03-13-10, 08:38 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need to tell us the wiring in the switch box. Tell us how many 2-conductor and 3-conductor cables and how they are wired.

There may be a code problem with the current set up. While a neutral can be re-purposed as a hot in a switch loop this may not be a switch loop. If power came in at the switch then one of the cables my have been use to carry two hots leaving the neutral in the other cable. All conductors though for a particular device need to be in the same cable. The pros will have to give a final determination on that but you may need to replace one of the 12-2 with a 12-3 to be code compliant..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: