Charger

Old 03-17-10, 05:29 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Charger

Hello,

I have a small Bosch IXO screwdriver. I tried to charge it a few times and it seemed battery was remain empty.

I checked the charger, mainly the output voltage on the pins, and it showed 11.5v. On the back of the charger it says the output should be 7.5v. Clearly a big difference.

Hence my questions ...
1. Is it really that the charger outputs too much volts? I was thinking that maybe the reading is biased because I didn't have the IXO screwdriver connected.

2. If it is too high, what are the chances the lithium batter is dead already?

Thanks,
Ronen

Old 03-17-10, 05:56 AM
D
You may have a bad battery, but you are seeing the open-circuit, no-load voltage. With a normal battery connected, it should drop to its nominal voltage.

Old 03-17-10, 09:55 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Lithium battery chargers also have some smarts in them to charge the battery safely. Measuring the voltage doesn't take into account the feedback system the charger has.

Old 03-17-10, 07:01 PM
S
The charger itself looks fairly plain. Nothing but a transformer and a bridge.

It seems like the "smarts" is in the screwdriver itself (opened it up yesterday and there was definitely more than just a battery and a motor there).

I noticed that when I place the screwdriver on the charger the charging led lights up very faintly and then diminish. Any idea how I can find what the problem is?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: