Sealing off an external junction box

Old 03-17-10, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing off an exterior junction box

Hey folks!

I recently had a propane tank installed at my house. Code requires that it is 7' from any point of ignition. Well, an inconveniently placed light was going to prevent my propane-age, so I told them I'd make sure the light was gone.

I've gotten the light off and removed it - and it's switch - from the circuit. So, at the moment, I have an open junction box on my outside wall. It is an exposed wall (i.e. no roof or anything to protect it from what little rain we get in AZ).

What is the best way to seal it up so that it is water tight? At the moment, I don't care how it looks. I just don't want water getting on the wires, and I also don't want water seeping into the house through this hole.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by shalihe74; 03-17-10 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-10, 01:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Well first I would disconnect the wires at the source, cut them off and shove them in the wall. Then I'd get a weather proof blank cover plate to put on the box. The cover plate comes with a foam gasket.

Old 03-17-10, 09:47 PM
Smile

yeah... Sealing the box off with an exterior cover is a good idea. Switching off the breaker to the old exterior light is a great idea. You could go so far as removing the circuit from the panel by disconnecting the hot from the breaker and removing the grounded conductor from the neutral bar. Good luck!

Old 04-09-10, 04:48 PM
Muy belated, but... thanks, folks! When I posted up, I was hoping I could just cap off the wires, seal it off (with the foam cap, etc.) and then stucco over it and be done.

When I went into my nasty attic, though, I found that the junction was part of a big circuit that ran (hehe, past tense) across the front of my house (3 ceiling fans & associated lights, an outside light), curved back through the center of my house (another ceiling fan, kitchen vent hood & lights), and then ran all the way across the house to juice up some outlets at the very far side of the casa.

Because the junction fed all that, I didn't want to make it complete inaccessible (as it would, if I were to block it off and stucco over it), so I ended up cutting the junction out all together. Sealed it off from the outside, and put a new box inside the attic so that the wires were accessible going forward. I also disconnected the wire that ran across the house and will tie it in with a more logical circuit later on.

Thanks, folks, for the advice!