Combining wires?

Old 03-30-10, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Combining wires?

I'm not even sure if this is the right section, but I tried my best to define where my problem would best fit, so sorry in advance.

In general, is it possible, safe, better, to combine wires?

Here's my problem. I have two earphones. Both of the wirings under the black strip, both green and red I think, are damaged. Is it possible for me to cut the wires and put them together by twisting them and have 1 of them work properly? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-10, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Guahan View Post
I'm not even sure if this is the right section, but I tried my best to define where my problem would best fit, so sorry in advance.

In general, is it possible, safe, better, to combine wires?

Here's my problem. I have two earphones. Both of the wirings under the black strip, both green and red I think, are damaged. Is it possible for me to cut the wires and put them together by twisting them and have 1 of them work properly? Thanks.
Your description is ambiguous. Do you have two SETS of earphones, or a LEFT and a RIGHT?

Are you trying to take two of whatever that don't work and cannibalize one to make the other work?

Of course if the wires are damaged, you can cut the wires, splice in same gauge scrap wire, and close back up. For small electronics I would recommend soldering or at least crimp connectors. Twisting wires and taping them is not usually good enough.

I don't understand the safety concerns. If these are regular consumer headphones the voltage and amperage are minimal. I think most consumer electronics headphone outputs are protected so short circuits won't kill the device, but I don't know that. Never heard of it being a problem.

Old 03-30-10, 10:57 PM
heat phone wire ussually has no plastic insulation under the jacket just a coating on 2 wires like motor winding wire

Old 03-31-10, 12:43 AM
Are you trying to take two of whatever that don't work and cannibalize one to make the other work?
Yes. Couldn't I just cut them, twist them, and then wrap around duck tape over it?

Old 03-31-10, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by Guahan View Post
Yes. Couldn't I just cut them, twist them, and then wrap around duck tape over it?
You can try that, but I'd recommend soldering or, like I said, at least crimping for audio applications. Twisting may work OK but may add impedance, especially over time, as the connection gradually loosens and oxidizes with only the wire's tension to hold it together. Especially in a situation where the wires are subject to movement, soldering is the best method.

You can always twist it, and if they don't work well, take it apart and try again. What have you got to lose?