Tying grounds together in box

Old 04-01-10, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tying grounds together in box

I have a 2-gang metal switch box with a 3-way and a 2-way switch. Both are on the same circuit, but the power is either coming in on two different wires or the 14/2 on the 3-way is the load for the light fixture because each switch has its own 14/2 incoming with . Either way, I have kept the neutrals separate just because that's how they were. The previous switches weren't grounded so I'm creating pigtails to ground the switches, box, and circuits. I plan to use two wirenuts to connect together all 8 bare copper wires (circuit grounds, box ground, switch ground, and a jumper wire between the two wirenuts). Is connecting all the grounds ok to do or should I keep it separate like the neutrals? I assume it's ok since either way grounding the box and each bare wire to the box will essentially be doing the same thing, but I want to make sure. Also, would this answer change if these were actually separate circuits in the box?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-10, 11:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYnewbie9 View Post
Is connecting all the grounds ok?
Not only is it okay, but it is mandatory. All grounds in the box must be connected to each other and to the box if it is metal.

Old 04-01-10, 03:53 PM
Connecting all the grounds together is fine in fact it is what you should do, even if it's seperate circuits. Just make sure you use a big enough wire nut. Specs for the wire nuts are usually on the bag or container they come in.

Old 04-03-10, 11:38 AM
If you were wiring new circuits using Armored Cable (AC) as the Wiring Method, the Equiptment Grounding Conductor would be the metal armor enclosing the circuit conductors.

It's possible that you would terminate in the same outlet box 14/2 AC's for a liting circuit, and 12/2 AC's for a small-appliance circuit. All #14 conductors would be seperate from the #12 conductors , but the metal armor of all the AC's in/out of the box , and the metal surface of the outlet-box , would all be "Bonded" together.

In certain Special Equiptment installations , such as swimming pools , a wide variety of Grounding Conductors , and all metallic surfaces near the pool ,would be Bonded together.

Old 04-03-10, 02:19 PM
All ground wires regardless of the circuit they come from are one system.

Hey why is the "neutral" called the "ground" only in a car?

Old 04-03-10, 10:18 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mickblock View Post
All ground wires regardless of the circuit they come from are one system.

Hey why is the "neutral" called the "ground" only in a car?
In a car, with DC voltage, you have no neutral.