Junction boxes behind drywall

Old 04-01-10, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Junction boxes behind drywall

I stupidly, not knowing better hid a bunch of junction boxes behind the drywall. Besides the pain in the butt it would cause if someone ever needed to get to them and the fact that it’s against code, is it a safety concern? if they are properly joined and the boxes are closed up? I am just worried about safety issues, I don’t really care about it being a pain to get to later.

Thanks,

Scott <--------feels like a complete idiot!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-10, 03:38 PM
Think about someone trying to troubleshoot a problem, one that happens to run thru those boxes, not easy. How are they to know the boxes are even there. Codes are wriiten with SAFETY in mind, not just to be a nuisance to DIY electricians. Yes, it violates code, and it could be a safety issue, but if violates code.

Old 04-01-10, 05:28 PM
Received 21 Votes on 16 Posts
Besides the pain in the butt it would cause if someone ever needed to get to them and the fact that itís against code, is it a safety concern?

It may not be a safety issue today, but one day it could be. Is it a concern? Yes. I'd fix it now.

Old 04-01-10, 05:41 PM
Yes safety problem, and yes a pain in the butt for anyone to trouble shoot beyond belief! And YES A CODE VIOLATION!!
NEC 314.29

Last edited by french277V; 04-01-10 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Keep it G rated in here
Old 04-01-10, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
Also, I suspect that somebody will want to want to run a screw in that spot not knowing there is a J box there.

Old 04-01-10, 06:20 PM
Hanging that picture frame maybe a shocking experience...Beer 4U2

Old 04-01-10, 08:39 PM
All but one of them are in the area above the bathroom and not anywhere near where anyone could put a screw in it. The other one is in a soffit that holds 3 recessed lights and is again out of reach of any screws. We just bought the house and plan on living in it for A LONG time! But I will try to figure out how to re-wire the stuff to make it accessible.

Scott

PS the people that built the house didn't use any stud wire covers and I even found a place where they ran wires to the front porch light on the outside of the stud and just notched the backside of the drywall and then mudded over it. So I could have done worse!

Old 04-13-10, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by spetrola View Post
All but one of them are in the area above the bathroom and not anywhere near where anyone could put a screw in it. The other one is in a soffit that holds 3 recessed lights and is again out of reach of any screws. We just bought the house and plan on living in it for A LONG time! But I will try to figure out how to re-wire the stuff to make it accessible.

Scott

PS the people that built the house didn't use any stud wire covers and I even found a place where they ran wires to the front porch light on the outside of the stud and just notched the backside of the drywall and then mudded over it. So I could have done worse!

Is there attic space above? If so, just flip them over so the cover points up, and consider them accessible. Having to find a hidden box sucks. I'm in that situation right now. I have to find a box buried somewhere in a wall or ceiling. The wall and ceiling are thickset/mudwall, so I can't use a magnet or studfinder, and I really don't want to start tearing into it blindly and then have to fix it. I'm trying to get my hands on a boroscope to make my life easier.. But do you see where I'm going?

Old 04-13-10, 09:19 AM
No unfortunately, they don't face attic space. However, I have moved all but one of them to above the bathroom, so if needed I can put in an access panel. I also have taken VERY extensive notes including distances and everything, so I know exactly where everything is if I ever need to get to it...

Thanks again,

Scott

Old 04-22-10, 03:36 PM
If it's a metal box with cover, what are the safety concerns?

From a safety standpoint, I don't see the difference between a concealed box and a concealed wire.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Old 04-22-10, 05:37 PM
Received 21 Votes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by HansGruber View Post
If it's a metal box with cover, what are the safety concerns?

From a safety standpoint, I don't see the difference between a concealed box and a concealed wire.

Can anyone enlighten me?
A concealed wire would be a continuous insulated conductor where a concealed box contains connections that can degrade and some day become a problem. If the connections are in a concealed metal box with metal cover, besides the obvious point of not being able to find a problem, you may think any danger of a fire are contained by the box, but they aren't.

Old 04-22-10, 10:22 PM
Speaking of hidden junction box or buried in the wall I just have a service call last week and took me a good 3 hours to find this stubbon junction box.

Yes I know you will ask me did I find it ? the answer is oui { yes } but in really oddball place .,, it was inside the door jamb .

so I have to take the door jamb apart to get into there the owner of that place he just can not belive it that I can able find it I wish I took a photo about that one.

Oringally the owner of that place want a easy way out but according to his buiding set up and it have alot of older style wiring in there it ran from central radial spur which it means that the power come to the ceiling luminaire or ceiling juction box and spread out from there.

This circuit did serve two room that why I have to use the hard way and get it thru.

The key issue the owner did call me due he did try to attempt to bypass this hidden juction box and it fail due the orinigal circuit is actally legit MWBC and he try to bypass it and end up ran full 240volts and blew everything out if anything was on { the curpit was bad netural connection }

So you can see why I do not want anyone try to run hidden juction box at all it is not safe and it pretty diffcuct to find it in case to do the repairs.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-23-10, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
A concealed wire would be a continuous insulated conductor where a concealed box contains connections that can degrade and some day become a problem. If the connections are in a concealed metal box with metal cover, besides the obvious point of not being able to find a problem, you may think any danger of a fire are contained by the box, but they aren't.
I have a concealed box in my home and I know where it is. I'll alert any electrician that enters my home or the next owners of the home should I sell it.

Old 04-23-10, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HansGruber View Post
I have a concealed box in my home and I know where it is. I'll alert any electrician that enters my home or the next owners of the home should I sell it.
And if I was the prospective buyer that would be a red flag. I'd wonder what other hidden code violations there were. Perhaps ones made in ignorance of the code you didn't know to warn me about.

Old 04-23-10, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Seems to me opening up a hole the shape of the box and putting in a box extender would be a reasonable amount of work to fix this

Old 04-23-10, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
And if I was the prospective buyer that would be a red flag. I'd wonder what other hidden code violations there were. Perhaps ones made in ignorance of the code you didn't know to warn me about.
I knew about the code when I sealed it up. I discovered the box concealed already. It's in a place where a wall plate would look terrible and I can't replace the entire wire.

I'm an honest guy, I'd rather tell the prospective buyers about it and have them walk away than something bad happening down the road.

Old 04-23-10, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
And what if, heaven forbid, something happens to you? Your information dies with you. The same goes for anybody you tell it to. This is why it is a code violation. No matter how many ways you try to justify it, it is still not code compliant and should not be done.