Containing ceiling fan wires in box

Old 04-01-10, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Containing ceiling fan wires in box

I have a fan-rated saddle box with 14/3 coming in for my ceiling fan. I am trying to install a flush mount ceiling fan and am driving myself insane to the point that I have to pull more wire because I damaged the insulation trying to get this to work. The instructions state to insert the wires into the box after making the connections. The mounting plate shown below has an approximately two inch diameter hole in it for the wires to come through and supposedly be shoved back in. I have tried and cannot for the life of me figure out a way to connect the wires and then put them back in the box. There is no room at all to do it you follow instructions and mount the bracket then do wiring. I've tried to lower the bracket and then put the wires in, but it still didn't really work and stuffing through that hole is what damaged the insulation. Do wires for ceiling fans have to be contained within the box or can the connections be made in the area outside the mounting plate and behind the motor mounting plate (that round indented area)?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-10, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
IF you can't get them in the box you can leave them spliced in the fixture.

To make the connections you hang the fan motor on the hook of the mounting place and then, in most cases, you can push the wires through the hole one at a time.

Old 04-01-10, 07:17 PM
As stated below. See that hook that looks like a J on the bracket? Attach the motor to that and let it hang. Make 1 joint up at a time and push one joint at a time through the hole. When all the connections are made fully secure the motor to the bracket and then proceed to next step, I.E., fan blades, lighting fixture, etc. Beer 4U2

Old 04-01-10, 09:07 PM
I originally was trying to do the connection in the method you guys describe with the motor on the mounting hook. The main problem I'm encountering is that there's only a little over half an inch gap between the mounting plate and the bottom of the box. The sides of the saddle box would easily accommodate the wires, but I can't maneuver the wires into the sides because of the mounting plate. How long would you recommend I make the 14/3 wires sticking out of the mounting bracket? I'm going to try it one more time, but it is ok to leave it spliced behind the fan motor if I can't get it, correct?

Old 04-01-10, 11:44 PM
If you cant get them in the j box its really not that big of a deal in my opinion because the bracket is metal and the shroud will cover it completely. Is it suppose to be in the J box? Yes. I normally leave 6 to 8 inches of wire to work with when im terminating a device and im really not sure I understand your last post. Anyway, you will be ok if you twist the joints good and wire nut them off. You may also want to wrap the wirenut and about 1/2 inch of the wire from the wire nut with electrical tape for "insurance." Most electrical tape is rated 600volts per wrap! Sometimes they just don't work out the way they should! But its really not that big of a deal. You will be fine man! Make sure you got the leads right for your dimmer and you motor switch. I am assuming thats why u ran the 14/3.

Old 04-02-10, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Ah, I get it now! I remembered you mentioned you have a saddle box. Those lags should be pretty long, you could back them up a little to give you more room. Or you could cut the plate to give you room to access the box better. If it were me, I would just splice in the fixture.