illuminated light switch P&S

Old 04-01-10, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
illuminated light switch P&S

I have these lighted light switches in the bathrooms and garage. They are the ones that feed through the light bulb rather than using a neutral.

My question is it bad to use these with CFL's. They sort of flash randomly at times when the light switch is off and glowing. In my Garage I have 2 Incandescent and 4 CFL's so they don't blink at all.

Will this blinking wear out a CFL?

Looked at the packaging of one at the store and it doesn't say not to use them with any certain thing

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-10, 11:23 PM
Braether.,

As the situation you descirbing due there is pretty good way to ruin the CFL if you do not use the incandsent bulbs if you did use the incandsent bulbs the fliker will stop due the filment act like shunt so unscrew all the bulbs the luminied switch will not come on sorta like series circuit if you get my drift.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-01-10, 11:28 PM
Yessir I know its a sorta a series circuit. And the flickering deal was my main concern about shortening the life...I really wanted dont want to go back to the incandescent bulbs but I guess ill have to figure something out

Ben Hvac-r tech

Old 04-01-10, 11:56 PM
Yea a CFL is not made to dim man. If you are wanting to dim the lights just switch the bulbs to incandescent. If you dont want to dim them or switch bulbs leave the dimmer (im assuming you are referring to a dimmer..) cranked all the way up and just use the push on/off feature or lose the dimmer and install a single pole switch.Beer 4U2

Old 04-02-10, 12:14 AM
no no no its not a dimmer its a normal lighted single pole switch(which is really built with a three way switch if you look at it)

Old 04-02-10, 12:31 AM
Never installed one to be honest with you. Whats the official name of it? Is it a motion detector? Only thing other than dimmer that I can think of right now that lights up

a single pole thats really a 3way?!??!?

(Googled it)
A locator switch Pass & Seymour/Legrand is what your talking about. I have never installed one. I will have to read up on it though. From what I gather it seems to be some sort of safety switch that flashes lights on and off. Interesting. I need to sleep but Ill research out of curiosity tomorrow.

Last edited by SilverTattoo; 04-02-10 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-02-10, 12:46 AM
If this is a correct one ??{ I have to use the engish verson for this one }

TradeMaster Grounding Illuminated Toggle Switch, Ivory

Let me know

Merci, Marc

Old 04-02-10, 12:57 AM
Locator Switch distinguishes house by flashing lights., Pass SeymourLegrand

is what i think hes talking about.. Curiosity got the best of me..

Old 04-02-10, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by SilverTattoo View Post
Locator Switch distinguishes house by flashing lights., Pass SeymourLegrand

is what i think hes talking about.. Curiosity got the best of me..
Naw not the item at all just look at the opening statement

I have these lighted light switches in the bathrooms and garage. They are the ones that feed through the light bulb rather than using a neutral.
that the key word and this switch I know it is lumined switch handle { the switch handle light go on when you turn off the switch } while polit switch it will reverse the whole thing and you will need netural there.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-02-10, 01:09 AM
im not following because no switch has a neutral.. Its got a hot and a switch leg. Either its way to late or this is making about ZERO since.. So how would you wire this thing up?

Last edited by SilverTattoo; 04-02-10 at 01:12 AM. Reason: P.S> He saids "Light Switch P&S" Pass & Seymour.. Ill check this tomorrow. Later
Old 04-02-10, 01:21 AM
The switch has a neon lamp and resistor inside the translucent handle. When the switch is open (off) there is a series circuit from the hot through the neon bulb and resistor through the lamp fixture and back to neutral. The current flow through a regular incandescent bulb is too low to cause the filament to glow but high enough to light the neon bulb. When the switch is closed (on) the current shunts through the switch contacts allowing sufficient current flow to light the incandescent bulb.

Using a ballasted lamp (CFL) instead of the incandescent causes problems because the slight current for the neon bulb DOES cause sufficient current for the CFL to occasionally fire.

im not following because no switch has a neutral.
They DO make switches that have indicator (pilot) lamps internal to the switch and these DO have a neutral connection for the indicator lamp. Youi can get these switches that will have the pilot lamp on either in the switch on or switch off position.

Old 04-02-10, 02:05 AM
Ok so its a single pole with a neutral terminal on it?? Cuz I aint never seen a switch like that. That got a hot and a switch leg and a ground terminal, or 3 way travelers. I understand its got a neon light in the thing or a LED(obviously) but its getting its power from the hot. Your right it does use the neutral FOR RETURN POWER TO ILLUMINATE THE LED BUT, IT DOES NOT TERMINATE AT THE SWITCH!!! HENCE THERE IS NO NEUTRAL AT THE SWITCH. Like I already stated below. Your hot and switch leg (and ground..) will be the only wires that terminate at the switch.

Will Nicholes - Compact Fluorescent Lights vs. Illuminated Light Switches

Old 04-02-10, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by SilverTattoo View Post
...Your hot and switch leg (and ground..) will be the only wires that terminate at the switch.

Will Nicholes - Compact Fluorescent Lights vs. Illuminated Light Switches
Let's first distinguish between Pilot and Illuminated.
Pilot means the indicator is lit when the switch is on. This switch usually has a neutral terminal.
Illuminated means the indicator is lit when the switch is off. This switch does not have a neutral terminal, as far as I know.

Now, Luana seems to be saying that you can get a switch with a neutral so the indicator is illuminated when the load is turned off, or that the pilot can be configured to light when the load is off. I did a quick search on Leviton and didn't find an illuminated with neutral. Anybody know if they exist?

If the circuit is not 3-way, you could use a 3-way switch in conjunction with a separate pilot light.

Otherwise, I've successfully left one incandescent on the load, like in your garage.

Old 04-02-10, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have several of the illuminated switches referred to by the original poster. Mine were all made by GE several years ago, and are mercury switches. They are exactly the same as a regular toggle switch, with the same number of terminals, except that there is a neon bulb in the toggle which lights when the switch is in the "off" position, so you can easily locate the switch in a dark room.

There is also a "pilot" type of illuminated switch, but these are designed to light the handle when the switch is ON, so the owner knows the switched load is turned on. These are most often used where the switch is located in a different room than the light fixture.

To the original poster; you have two choices....if you want to keep your illuminated switch, you will have to go back to standard incandescent bulbs. If you want to keep the CFL's, then you will have to replace the illuminated switch with a regular toggle switch. I had to do that when I replaced by incandescent bulbs in the bathroom with CFL's. I miss the illuminated switch, but the electricity savings makes up for it.

Old 04-02-10, 12:37 PM
Let's first distinguish between Pilot and Illuminated.
Pilot means the indicator is lit when the switch is on. This switch usually has a neutral terminal.
Illuminated means the indicator is lit when the switch is off. This switch does not have a neutral terminal, as far as I know
Yes, this is correct and Luna you are also correct about the "pilot light" having a neutral. Though the OP is not asking about a "Pilot light" in a switch. Hes is asking about a Illuminated switch which has no neutral.

To OP. If your switch box has the neutrals passing through in the switch box the Pilot lighted switch could be another alternative for you. This would have a terminal for a neutral but your switch box must contain a passing through neutral within that switch box. In this case you would have a Hot, switch leg, a neutral, and a ground.

OP THIS IS A GOOD READ FOR WHAT YOUR ASKING ABOUT
http://www.willnicholes.com/cflswitches.htm

INFO ON A SWITCH WITH A PILOT LIGHT
How to Wire a Switch with a Pilot Light | eHow.com

Last edited by SilverTattoo; 04-02-10 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys but I know most of this stuff...I'm Hvac tech by trade but I'm way more into electrical.

thank you all for posting though my main concern was for my CFL bulbs.....if they would fry from this random firing they do

silver tattoo.. when I said they were really a 3 way what i should have said is the guts of the switch is a 3 way you can see that through the clear plastic lens and the markings on the body (IE common printed on the side and a place for a third terminal that is filled in with plastic)... the "neon light bulb is wired between throw1 and throw 2 of the switch So when the light is off the "neon" is added to the circuit in series and the light fixture completes the circuit back to neutral.

So sounds like I need get a incandescent bulb in there

Thanks

Ben

Old 04-02-10, 04:58 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Like Arg stated, just leave one fixture with an incandescent lamp, the switches will illuminate and you'll save your CFLs.

Old 04-02-10, 05:57 PM
I fingered out a solution to the problem, I swapped the illuminated switch for the heat lamp switch so you can still see where the switches are and the CFL's don't blink.

Thanks again folks.

Ben

Old 04-02-10, 09:37 PM
Glad you figured it out. I didnt mean to get so off the topic with the neutral thing.. lol I learned something to though! That is my main goal is to keep learning and try to help along the way. Sorry I wasn't much help on this one.Beer 4U2

Old 04-02-10, 11:14 PM
haha thats allright buddy

Old 04-03-10, 03:36 PM
I have been using illuminated switches at home (both single pole and 3-ways). Most of them are by Leviton. I am not sure about the exact model but its available in HD. They are wired as like standard light switches, no neutrals required. As what Luana stated, the toggle illuminates when the switch is off(lamp off) and does not illuminates when the switch is on(lamp on). I don't have problem using it on Flourescent lighting or CFL's.

Tino