Adding second light to bathroom

Old 04-02-10, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Adding second light to bathroom

This should be obvious but I prefer to make sure I do it right... I have one wall switch that controls an existing bath light. I am adding a second light source which I want to be controlled solely by the existing light switch. BUT, on the existing light I have added a toggle switch to control when this this original light will be on/off. How do I do the wiring? I do not have access to re-wire for 2 switches at the entrance door. thanks in advance for your help, GaryL

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-10, 06:51 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Light

Add a cable from the new light to the old light.
Connect the black wire from the new light to the black wire of the old light. Connect the white wire of the new light to the white wire of the old light.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 04-02-10 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 04-03-10, 11:20 AM
Main object not considered

Thanks for your reply, BUT I want the old light to be able to be turned on/off without the new light going off. I have installed a toggle switch to the old light, but just need to know how to hook that on/off to the wiring to allow old light to turn on/off with new light staying on.... GaryL

Old 04-03-10, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
If the power coming into the wall switch box, without adding new wiring the new light can only be on when the old light is on.

Old 04-04-10, 04:11 PM
pc boss what the OP did was buy a toggle switch something to that order I would assume, and installed it on the old light.

He wants to know how to hook it up...IF the switch is rated correctly then what you would do it connect black old light to one side of switch then a black pigtail from switch to Either main power in or to the switch loop(depending on if you want the wall switch to control old light. Neutral to neutral coming in.

next connect light 2 wires as stated above

now I don't know if this is to code or not but that would be how you would do it. Feel free to edit if thats the case Mods