Homeline Load Center Hom6 12L100 ...

Old 04-04-10, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Homeline Load Center Hom6 12L100 ...

I just built a 12x20 Storage Shed, and have a Homeline Load Center Hom6 12L100 ready to go in.
((125a max with 6 breaker slots))

Now, I will be running this from the house (( NOT FROM MAIN BOX )) (( OR do I have to?)) Approx. 40' - 45' from House to Shed. I know I will need DIRECT BURIAL for my run. What is the minimum and maximum needed for the direct burial.

Last but not least, Where should I come from OFF the house..

I am NO Electrician...

I am requesting that all replies, to be explained in hmmm, a laborer's 1st day.. Short, Sweet, and too the point.

Thanks, Steve C.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-10, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
I am going to refer you to the subpanel sticky.

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...-drawings.html

You would need a 2 pole breaker in a panel to feed the outbuilding. There is no min or max distance. If you are asking about sizing the feeder, that is determined by the breaker size that feeds the circuit and voltage drop.

Old 04-04-10, 11:01 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
That would be a 100 amp main lug only panel and not a 125 amp panel.

Old 04-04-10, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Now, I will be running this from the house (( NOT FROM MAIN BOX )) (( OR do I have to?)) Approx. 40' - 45' from House to Shed. I know I will need DIRECT BURIAL for my run. What is the minimum and maximum needed for the direct burial.
You do not have to come off the main house panel but the panel you do come off of must be able to handle the connected load your are adding to it plus whatever load is already on it.

Direct burial conductors are required to be buried a minimum of 24". There is no maximum but I suspect after digging 2' down you will not be too excited to keep going down. You will have to protect the wires/cable using PVC until the wire/cable gets down to the 24". Conductors must be rated to be direct buried.

Old 04-05-10, 08:18 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
You do not have to come off the main house panel but the panel you do come off of must be able to handle the connected load your are adding to it plus whatever load is already on it.

Direct burial conductors are required to be buried a minimum of 24". There is no maximum but I suspect after digging 2' down you will not be too excited to keep going down. You will have to protect the wires/cable using PVC until the wire/cable gets down to the 24". Conductors must be rated to be direct buried.

Thanks Toylon.. The few things that will be used in the Shed will be small stuff ie: 80 gl Air compressor.. Table Saw.. Radio.. Nothing Big...Now, Keep in mind.. the Hom6 breaker is already installed, along with 3 GFI receptacles, the Hom6 is new and was free, thats why it's in there.. I have the pig tail hanging ready for Hook up from the house.. after I trench a 40' - 45' ditch 24" deep... Can I come off say, a receptacle that is never used?

Old 04-05-10, 08:29 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Using the receptacle will limit you to 15a or 2oa and the only half the breaker slots will be available unless you use a jumper. No advantage in using a breaker box if you are coming off a receptacle. The compressor won't leave you much power for other things.

Please explain:
I have the pig tail hanging ready for Hook up from the house
Remember all connections must be in a junction box.

Old 04-05-10, 08:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
. I have the pig tail hanging ready for Hook up from the house.. after I trench a 40' - 45' ditch 24" deep... Can I come off say, a receptacle that is never used?
Along with the issue of limited circuit ampacity, you also have the issue that flex cord on the pigtail is not to be used as a substitute for fixed wiring. If you used something like UF or NM and installed a cord cap you also have an issue in that neither of those cables is listed for use with a cord cap.

The correct solution would be to run a four wire feeder to the shed.

Old 04-05-10, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Using the receptacle will limit you to 15a or 2oa and the only half the breaker slots will be available unless you use a jumper. No advantage in using a breaker box if you are coming off a receptacle. The compressor won't leave you much power for other things.

Please explain: Remember all connections must be in a junction box.

Thanks.. you made sense.. So, since no advantage in coming off a receptacle, Where WOULD I go?

Old 04-05-10, 03:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts

Thanks.. you made sense.. So, since no advantage in coming off a receptacle, Where WOULD I go?
To the nearest breaker box as has been said before. This can be the service panel or a sub panel with adequate capacity.