Two pole timer switch

Old 04-05-10, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two pole timer switch

Hi

I have a two gang box. In the first part I have a dual switch that has the fan and the heat lamp connected to it. I would like to replace that single switch with two timer switches. So basically both fixtures would be turned on with a timer. Right next to this switch I have a switch that controls the light in the bathroom.

Is there a switch that has two timers on it?

If not, then I would need one that has a timer and a regular switch to turn the fan+light and then the second timer to turn on the heat lamp.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-10, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
I know of no device that has two timers or one switch/timer combo. I suggest removing the 2 gang box and installing a 3 gang remodel box in it place.

Old 04-05-10, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Do you want the fan and the heater to have separate timers or come on together with a single timer? Are they on the same circuit? Do you want an actual timer (on/off at specific time) or a spring wound timer (manually twist on, ticks down for XX minutes then off)?

Old 04-06-10, 06:38 AM
Yes, I want the fan and the heater to have separate timer. They are on the same circuit.

Either a spring or some of the electronic timers would work.

Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Do you want the fan and the heater to have separate timers or come on together with a single timer? Are they on the same circuit? Do you want an actual timer (on/off at specific time) or a spring wound timer (manually twist on, ticks down for XX minutes then off)?

Old 04-06-10, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by keano016 View Post
Yes, I want the fan and the heater to have separate timer. They are on the same circuit.

Either a spring or some of the electronic timers would work.
The closest I could find was a Pass & Seymour switch that controls two loads. In the up position, both are in the on position without a timer. In the down position, one is on a 1-60 minute timer and the other is off. EDIT: I should mention that there is a middle position where both are off.

Not exactly what you're looking for. I believe Tolyn Ironhand is correct, a larger box with two seperate devices is the only way to accomplish your requirements.

Old 04-06-10, 01:59 PM
how are these electronic timers? Is the spring ones more durable/last longer?

Old 04-06-10, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by keano016 View Post
how are these electronic timers? Is the spring ones more durable/last longer?
As a general rule, solid state electronic timers should last quite a bit longer than their mechanical counterparts. A spring should wear out far faster than an electronic timer, even though I'd expect a spring to last at least five years even with frequent use.

Old 04-06-10, 02:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Spring wound one aren't vulnerable to current surge. The electronic ones may be.