Anyone know of a 240V surge protector?

Old 04-06-10, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anyone know of a 240V surge protector?

I've looked online and can't find one.
I live in a location with frequent power surges. It has repeatedly blown out the $200 control panel on my electric oven. I'm going to install a whole house surge protector, but would like additional protection considering the cost of the oven control panel.

I thought of taking apart the 240 V cordset and splicing in 10 ga electric cords, plugging them into 2 surge protectors (one on each 120v leg) and then back to the cordset, but that seems like a lot of work if there is a 240 V surge protector that I can plug in between the wall and the oven.

Anyone got alternative ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-10, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by DrR137 View Post
I've looked online and can't find one.
I live in a location with frequent power surges. It has repeatedly blown out the $200 control panel on my electric oven. I'm going to install a whole house surge protector, but would like additional protection considering the cost of the oven control panel.

I thought of taking apart the 240 V cordset and splicing in 10 ga electric cords, plugging them into 2 surge protectors (one on each 120v leg) and then back to the cordset, but that seems like a lot of work if there is a 240 V surge protector that I can plug in between the wall and the oven.

Anyone got alternative ideas?
My aunt had a lightning strike to her service take out much of her electrical system. She added a system surge protector which was between her service disconnect and main panel. I know it wasn't cheap, but if you have frequent power surges it may be best to invest in a system wide solution.

Old 04-06-10, 12:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I do not believe that a 240V surge protector would be any different or better than a whole house or panel mounted model. They do make hardwire 240V units which are intended for commercial and industrial use. These are generally several hundred dollars, and arguably no better than the residential panel mounted units.

When you or your electrician installs the new panel surge protector, make sure to evaluate your grounding electrode system at that time. The surge protector cannot be effective without good earth grounding via pipes and/or rods. Single point grounding of your electrical, phone, cable and data system should be evaluated as well.

Old 04-06-10, 07:33 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
Don't do it! Go with a panel mounted system.

Old 04-07-10, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
Agreed, don't jerry-rig something. It's likely those 120v protectors aren't rated for 30A anyway. Install a good quality panel-mounted whole house protector and you should be fine. If any surges get through that to your oven, it's probably enough of a surge that little would stop it anyway.

Old 04-07-10, 10:19 PM
and doesn't the surge protector company have to buy you a new oven(or anything) if she blows with a whole house unit

Old 04-11-10, 12:08 AM
Hey! Thanks everyone for your replies. I particularly appreciated the comment about the necessity of good grounding. I'll have to check around to be sure there are some ground rods for my house, as I'm not sure I've ever noticed any.

Old 04-11-10, 07:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
You likely won't be able to find the actual ground rods, they are usually buried with the top 2 or 3 inches below ground. Look around your meter or main panel, you should see a single wire existing the box, either bare copper or insulated. One should go to your incoming water main and a second should go outside to the ground rods. Depending on the age of your electrical system, it's possible you may only have the water main ground connection.