Hottub wiring?

Old 04-06-10, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Hottub wiring?

I have a hottub that is on a concrete deck. Since I can not run the wire under the concrete, can I run the wire along the concrete from the conduit box to the hot tub?

One other thing. The house is only 6 years old. The breaker box only has one breaker available, and I need 2. Can I move one of the other to another breaker to free up one?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-10, 10:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by tonydiato View Post
I have a hottub that is on a concrete deck. Since I can not run the wire under the concrete, can I run the wire along the concrete from the conduit box to the hot tub?
You probably could if you used rigid metal conduit, but that still presents a tripping hazard. Perhaps it would be okay if you built a ramp of some type over it. I would strongly consider renting a concrete saw and cutting a channel out for the conduit. Cut the channel, lay the conduit, and trowel some concrete over the top. This is really the only option I would present to a customer in this situation.

The breaker box only has one breaker available, and I need 2. Can I move one of the other to another breaker to free up one?
It's possible -- depends on what the circuits in question are. Another option may be to use tandem breakers in the panel if they are approved for your panel. What is the make and model number of the panel?

Old 04-07-10, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by tonydiato View Post

One other thing. The house is only 6 years old. The breaker box only has one breaker available, and I need 2. Can I move one of the other to another breaker to free up one?
By along the concrete, do you mean your hottub is abutting an edge of your concrete deck and you'd like to run a pipe along the outside edge of the concrete?

If so, that is what I would do if I had the choice. Given the correct type of conduit this is perfectly acceptable. If you're running along a vertical concrete slab, you should avoid the tripping hazzard issue. A little more information as to exactly how you plan on running this and exactly how the hottub sits on the deck would be appreciated, to avoid underinformed advice.

Old 04-07-10, 05:52 PM
Picture a concrete patio. Then the hot tub is in the CENTER of the patio. The breaker box is next to the screen door..on that wall...and I need to get the wire to the the hot tub. There would be a tripping issue. I have scene this where there is a pipe that goes on top of the concrete to the hot tub. (of course the hot tub is not in the center of the concrete. I am using this as an example Actually the hot tub would be about 3 feet from the house. So the conduit would run 3 feet from the house to the hot tub on top of the concrete. The only other solution would be to butt it up to the edge of the concrete and grass, and have the pipe go under ground. BUT, i do not want that, because it would be flush against the flower bed.

Old 04-07-10, 06:50 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Since you are just talking about 3 feet, I'd consider getting a decorative bench that could be permanently placed and bolted down to keep the 3 feet from being used as a walkway. Then, yes, you could run conduit surface mounted on the concrete without it being a tripping hazard. Depending on the AHJ, you might be able to use EMT instead of rigid conduit.

Old 04-07-10, 07:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It would be easy to tunnel under the slab for three feet and cut a small hole in the slab for the conduit to come through.