Line mystery

Old 04-10-10, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Line mystery

What would cause an outlet to suddenly stop working? This is a GFCI on a screen porch. My wife was sitting next to it when a light that was plugged into it went out. The breaker wasn't tripped, overhead lights on the same circuits are working. I figured I might need to just replace the GFCI, but when I test the line wires at the outlet with the breaker on there's no voltage (tested with 2 different voltage detectors).

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-10, 07:06 AM
Nevermind! Another GFCI had tripped ahead of it!

Now I'm off to find another wall to bang my head on . . .

Old 04-10-10, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
You should only have 1 GFCI per circuit....

If thats what you meant...that there were 2 on the line I mean.

Old 04-10-10, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
You should only have 1 GFCI per circuit....

If thats what you meant...that there were 2 on the line I mean.
You can have more than one per circuit, but you don't want to have them redundant. IE have a GFCI receptacle down stream of another GFCI that is already protecting the circuit.

Old 04-10-10, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
I guess thats what I meant...whats the point of having 2?

I tried to install a GFCI on a circuit I didn't realize was already protected..and I kept tripping one or the other (don't remember now). They just didn't play well together I guess.

Old 04-13-10, 04:58 PM
Is there a reason to not have redudant GFCIs? There's nothing in the manufacturer installation instructions about that, only that the GFCI will protect downstream outlets. Unless there's a reason not to I'd rather have a redundant GFCI downstream than a plain outlet with a paper "GFCI-protected" label on it, since outdoors the label falls off in a few months (then you don't know) and indoors it looks like hell and gets dirty. Also, I have yet to find non-GFCI outlets in stores that are specified for wet locations.

Old 04-13-10, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
If you want more than one GFI on the circuit just wire them using the LINE terminals. This way you will have GFI protection but will not need to look in different locations to see which one is tripped.

Old 04-14-10, 04:11 AM
You're saying to wire them to the line terminals along with the incoming line using a pigtail?

Some of these have a feature that won't let them work if wired incorrectly. I guess they won't know the difference . . .

Old 04-14-10, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You're saying to wire them to the line terminals along with the incoming line using a pigtail?
Pigtailing is optional in most cases. Most side wired GFCIs will take two wires under the pressure plate.

Old 04-14-10, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
I still don't get the need for extra GFCI outlets ($). If you know where the first one is located...who cares. Why put the label on it? If its required by code (which I'm not sure it is...the labels I mean)..it would only be when inspections are done.

Well yeah...it would be convenient to just reset while right beside it...but thats about it.

As to the wet locations for non-GFCI...I think thats a function of the enclosure..not the outlet, since normal outlets have no electronics inside.

All this is from a non-Pro...KISS..cheap kinda guy...just remember that...lol.