Bathroom Switches/Outlet

Old 04-10-10, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Switches/Outlet

I'm wiring a fan on one switch in the bathroom, a light on another and putting an outlet between the two of them with it all coming off of one power leg, could someone make me a diagram of how it should be wired in because I had problems before when I only had the light and the outlet. The outlet was turning off when I would turn the light on. So if someone could make me a quick diagram I would be very appreciative.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-10, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I don't have access to my program right now, but the receptacle should be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. If you only have the one circuit, wire in the GFCI protected receptacle first, then jump over to the switches to energize one leg of them. The load would come from the other leg of the switches and the neutrals will all be connected together throughout.

Old 04-10-10, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
The 20 amp dedicated circuit may also be used to power the lights, fan, etc as long as the circuit serves only that bathroom.

Old 04-10-10, 07:46 PM
Yeah, it's powering only the bathroom. I've got it to the point where it will power on everything, but as soon as I flip a switch it blows the circuit. I've got a small amount of electrical experience but switches always evade me. Especially when mixed with other things.

I've got the power leg coming into the hot of the GFCI, then white and black jumpers coming out of the GFCI's load. The blacks go onto the switches with the switches hot legs and then the white coming off the GFCI ties to the whites of each of the switches. What am I doing wrong? A diagram even made in Paint will really clear this up for me.

Old 04-10-10, 09:39 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
GFCI ties to the whites of each of the switches. What am I doing wrong? A diagram even made in Paint will really clear this up for me.
If the whites are neutrals they don't belong on a standard (non-illuminated) switch. A neutral and hot on a switch would be a dead short. Lights don't really need to be on the load side of the GFCI but if you put them there here is a rough diagram.

Here it is wired to the Line side.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-10-10 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-10-10, 09:49 PM
FrostyNwinters

ill try and describe it really easy for you. the main power feed, the black and white go to the line of the gfi. from thre load of the GFI run a 12/2, black and white to the switch box for the switches. the black will get pig tailed to feed one side of each switch. Now the line from the fan, another 12/2 and the line from the light, another 12/2 will all terminate the switch box. One black from each of those lines goes to the 2 switches. Fan to one switch and light to the other switch. All the grounds get tied together and all the neutrals get tied together(3)

Old 04-10-10, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I completely forgot that the two blacks go onto the switches and the whites all tie together. I figured it out a couple of hours ago and basically smacked my palm to my forehead and sighed. =P