switch wiring question

Old 04-14-10, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
switch wiring question

In my dining room there are 2 unipolar switches side by side-- one controls the ceiling light, the other controls an outdoor fixture. I'm replacing these switches. Whoever wired these switches before me stripped a section of the insulation from the hot wire to expose the copper and attempted to pinch it to 180 angle, then curled the makeshift end and attached it to the side terminal/screw. I would think it better to cut the wire and connect them together at the screw, or even one at the screw and the other in the corresponding 14ga female connector. What is the correct approach?

Thanks in advance.

-Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-10, 11:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
They way it was done is okay. You could also create two 6" pigtails of black wire to each switch and wirenut them to the existing hot wire.

Old 04-14-10, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your help, ibpooks.

Old 04-14-10, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by bluephoenix View Post
Whoever wired these switches before me stripped a section of the insulation from the hot wire to expose the copper and attempted to pinch it to 180 angle, then curled the makeshift end and attached it to the side terminal/screw. I would think it better to cut the wire and connect them together at the screw,
This is how we wire switches all the time. It helps keep the box getting too crowded with pigtails.

The part I marked red would be a code violation because you may only have one wire under one screw. By making the loop you still only have one wire.