bathroom wall heater need disconnect?

Old 04-16-10, 09:39 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathroom wall heater need disconnect?

I know this was brought up before, but it kinda died without definite answer. I have nutone 1500watt bathroom wall heater. It mounts within the stud cavity. wiring as 240v. needs 15A circuit for that (needs 20A if wire 120V). I wired with 12/2, in case in future needs change, but will use 15A double pole breaker. The question is, does this require a line of sight disconnect, or is it considered a permanently mounted appliance, like a cooktop or wall oven, and not need disconnect?

Old 04-16-10, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by hammerash
. The question is, does this require a line of sight disconnect, or is it considered a permanently mounted appliance, like a cooktop or wall oven, and not need disconnect?
Im not a pro but I'm going to say NO...not too many folks have a fused disconnect panel in the bathroom...lol.

Old 04-16-10, 10:01 AM
H
thats what I thought too, but the thread from before was pointing to that I did need disconnect but a DP switch could serve that purpose. I was kinda surprised. then the thread ended without definite answer. I have a closet nearby that I could put a DP switch as the disconnect if needed and it is before the heater so I still have enough wire to re-direct it to the closet first. But if not needed then I am not planning on putting one in.

Old 04-16-10, 10:08 AM
well if you really wanted to you could throw a DP switch by the door so the heater could easily be turned on when entering the room.. I wouldn't put it in the same box as the lights or it might get turned on with the lights ... maybe 4 inches away in its own box if you don't have a stud you could possibly use a old work box

Old 04-16-10, 11:18 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Usually with a built-in heater, the internal thermostat / OFF switch is considered a disconnect. If I was installing this unit, I would not provide a disconnect. See Art. 424.19(A-C) but mostly (C).

Old 04-16-10, 11:32 AM
H
thanks, that is what I was looking for-whether it was required. thanks to braether3. I really was not looking to put a DP switch in if not needed. and if needed, I didn't want it visible-I would put it hidden in the bathroom closet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: