NEC 2008-need for AFCI and GFCI in following locations

Old 04-16-10, 09:56 AM
NEC 2008-need for AFCI and GFCI in following locations

bathroom lighting circuit-no receptacles on this circuit and it is limited to one bathroom

basement lighting circuit-no receptacles on this circuit and it is limited to the basement.

basement receptacle circuit-it is limited to the basement. currently the basement is unfinished, so I was gonna put a GFCI receptacle at the first location and protect them all. but this is going to eventually get finished (hopefully near future). It has slab now and I don't know what kind of floor it will have when finished. when it is finished, will they then require AFCI like any other general receptacle circuit? or should it have AFCI with added GFCI for people protection since there is slab there? If it is gonna need AFCI eventually, I was just gonna put in the breaker now while I am connecting everything up.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-10, 11:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Neither req'd on the bath lighting circuit. I suppose your inspector could consider the bath a "living area", but that's an interpretation. Code does not specify bath lights for AFCI.

When the basement is unfinished, neither protection on the lights, GFCI on the receptacles.

When the basement is finished, AFCI on lights and receptacles, no GFCI req'd in finished areas. Generally, "finished" means some type of wall covering and some type of floor covering to make the area habitable.

Old 04-16-10, 11:41 AM
thanks. in basement, I think I will just go ahead and put them on AFCI breakers now while I am doing the work. then make the first receptacle a GFCI to protect them all till it is finished.

I guess I can call the county to see if they are gonna want bath lights on AFCI. my original layout had them on AFCI. so, IBPOOKS, would you put them on AFCI if this was your house? If they truly are safer, then the extra $30 is not an issue really. On the other hand, I wonder if lot of people feel the AFCI are more trouble than they're worth and never use unless you are required.

Old 04-16-10, 11:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by hammerash View Post
IBPOOKS, would you put them on AFCI if this was your house?
For $35 breaker, no. I think the value in AFCI is really protecting against frayed cords, faulty Christmas light strings, cheap appliances that sort of thing. Fixed in place premises wiring and fixtures operate safely for decades without arcing. In my experience, arcing in premises wiring occurs as a result of cheap recepts/switches and/or shoddy workmanship.