Multiple circuits in same box

Old 04-22-10, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Multiple circuits in same box

1. I have two different circuits going into a 4 gang metal box. Does code consider this acceptable?
  2. The circuits are 15a and 20a, 120v each. What is the proper way of grounding both circuits? Can I just wire up all the grounds together? (ie 15a ground, 20a ground, ground the box, ground the switches). The neutrals Iím keeping on their respective circuits.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-10, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by ii_diesel_ii View Post
  1. I have two different circuits going into a 4 gang metal box. Does code consider this acceptable?
  2. The circuits are 15a and 20a, 120v each. What is the proper way of grounding both circuits? Can I just wire up all the grounds together? (ie 15a ground, 20a ground, ground the box, ground the switches). The neutrals Iím keeping on their respective circuits.
Yes, there it is acceptable to have two different circuits in the same box, provided they are both fed from the same panel. Where there is more than one source the electrical systems should be separated.

Yes, all the grounds may be tied together. The ground tail you attach to the box and devices should match the largest wire size (12 gauge, probably).

You are correct to keep the neutrals separate, that is important. Two circuits should not have interconnected neutrals ever.

Old 04-22-10, 09:58 PM
Yes it is common to find two or more circuit in the muligang box.

I done that all the time on commercal building so it is used in resdentail side as well.

However you are right with the netural question.

Never mix the netural at all and can NOT cross connection the netural this is very important here. { I have see that situation if not carefull with it. }

Yes you can tie all the grounding conductors { useally bare or green wire } together that is not a issue and it is good pratice to do that anyway for your safety sake.

However for grounding pigtail go with the largest conductor in the box if you have 4.0mm≤ { #12 AWG } then you have to use 4.0mm≤ all the way thru.

Merci,Marc