questions on ups installation on a plant shelf

Old 04-22-10, 10:54 AM
questions on ups installation on a plant shelf

I'm planning on moving a number of my computer components up to a plant shelf and just running the various cables down the wall. The plan is for the ups unit, cable modem and router to be up there. I have a couple question regarding this unusual project.

I'm planning on building a power bridge outlet box up there. It will have one regular outlet that I plug the ups into, and then several electrical inlets that run down the wall to be used by my computer. I will just plug short extension cords from the ups outlets to these inlets. The inlets look like this:

My first question is this, "Is it safe to install electrical outlet boxes in a flat/horizontal orientation?" All of my internet searches keep returning hits to installations on floors that are subject to foot traffic. The plant shelf is not... so do I still need the outlet to be covered? Is that a code requirement?

Second question, what kind of outlet box am I supposed to use for the inlets? The screw holes don't align with a standard outlet box.

Thanks in advance,
Darren

update: The forum didn't like my link to the image of the inlet. If you want to see a picture of it, go to amazon.com and search for "electrical inlet". It is the Leviton 5278-C

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-10, 01:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by sir_argo View Post
then several electrical inlets that run down the wall to be used by my computer.
You can have one inlet at the UPS powering several outlets at the PC. Inlets are expensive.

My first question is this, "Is it safe to install electrical outlet boxes in a flat/horizontal orientation?"
It's okay with a standard box and faceplate as long as it is in a location not subjected to liquids.

Second question, what kind of outlet box am I supposed to use for the inlets? The screw holes don't align with a standard outlet box.
Use a solid cover and drill a holesaw to match the inlet.

Old 04-25-10, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
From what I can picture, it would probably be cheaper and easier for you to simply run a power strip or two (or three) down the wall. Attach them to the wall and plug them directly into the UPS.

As others have said, you can use an inlet and such, but you'll see that the cost of the parts add up quickly.