Could you use some help planning a lighting install

Old 04-22-10, 01:31 PM
Post Could you use some help planning a lighting install

I am going to do a drywall build in wall unit. I have gotten 6 WAC HR-88 button halogen lights, and a Lutron Low Voltage Dimmer switch. I slightly unclear about what transformer I need as well as how to wire it so I can use the dimmer on the lights. I am going with a electronic transformer not sure if I need a Class II or not. So the two choices are:
WAC EN-12150-RB-AR --there is also the 24v version on this same transformer
or
WAC EN-12180-RB2 - Class II

Lastly how can I wire all the light effectively? There is a switch plate on the wall next to the build in area that has 3 switches on is for a three was controlling the entry way lights, the other two do not contoll anything at this time, however, I am pretty sure one controlls the ceiling fan wiring.

Can someone give me direction in what sequence I wire the switch/transformer/lights? Where do I get the power from?

Let me know if I am unclear on what I am looking for. I have some general (low level) knowledge of electical and a pretty handy book I just picked up.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-10, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally the switch is installed on the 120 volt side of the transformer. Sizing the tranformer is done by adding up all the wattages of the lamps.Normal sizes are 60, 150, 300 and 600 watts.

You would look to get power from a circuit that still has available capacity for the additional load. Certain circuits cannot be used like the laundry, bathroom and kitchen/dining receptacles.

Old 04-23-10, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the reply,

My main question with the transformer is what the difference is with between the enclosed and enclosed Class II?

So with the dimmer switch, my understanding of the "120V side" is power into Power>>>Switch>>>Transformer>>lights?

Old 04-23-10, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am not familar with the WAC transformers.

You are correct about the wiring.