die cast zinc vs steel locknuts

Old 04-23-10, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
die cast zinc vs steel locknuts

can you use a steel locknut on die cast zinc fittings? (such as an offset nipple) or do you have to use the die cast zinc type? Not sure if the threads are the same, but both types fit...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-10, 08:01 PM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by romexican View Post
can you use a steel locknut on die cast zinc fittings? (such as an offset nipple) or do you have to use the die cast zinc type? Not sure if the threads are the same, but both types fit...
Yes, and they both have the same threads. Any time you have the option, take steel over diecast. The same goes for fittings, if you have a choice, the steel ones are better. Old timers relied heavily on pipe ground and many times stripped the threads on diecast fittings when making them up tight. There are only 2 advantages to diecast. Diecast fittings are usually cheaper (but not always) and diecast fittings won't rust.

Old 04-24-10, 09:08 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
The biggest difference (other than the material) is that die-cast nuts are flat whereas the steel nuts are somewhat dome shaped, some more than others. This means that if you have only a small amount of thread entering the enclosure, such as you might when using chase nipples, the die-cast nut will actually thread on securely where the steel nut won't.

Since I never rely on conduit by itself for grounding or bonding the ability to tighten a steel nut more than a die-cast nut is irrelevant. Quite honestly, in more than forty years of "dabbling" with electrical projects I have never stripped either a die-cast nut or a die-cast fitting.

Old 04-24-10, 10:03 AM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
Quite honestly, in more than forty years of "dabbling" with electrical projects I have never stripped either a die-cast nut or a die-cast fitting.
I used to see a few diecast locknuts stripped, but more common was to see the diecast compression fittings stripped.