Help with 3-way switch and ceiling fan

Old 04-26-10, 12:08 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with 3-way switch and ceiling fan

I am replacing a single light that uses a 3-way switch with a ceiling fan without a light. With the existing wiring, one switch is a regular toggle switch and the other is a dimmer. The new ceiling fan requires that you use a wall mounted control switch to adjust the speed and they apparently do not make a 3-way switch option for the fan. Is there any way I can make a regular two-way switch work in this configuration?
If not, can I abandon one switch and change over to a single switch by connecting some of the wires together?

Thanks,

Old 04-26-10, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by pamulli
I am replacing a single light that uses a 3-way switch with a ceiling fan without a light. With the existing wiring, one switch is a regular toggle switch and the other is a dimmer. The new ceiling fan requires that you use a wall mounted control switch to adjust the speed and they apparently do not make a 3-way switch option for the fan. Is there any way I can make a regular two-way switch work in this configuration?
If not, can I abandon one switch and change over to a single switch by connecting some of the wires together?

Thanks,
I don't think the way you're using the term "3-way switch" is the way an electrician would use the term "3-way switch".

My guess is what you are trying to accomplish is possible. How it is accomplished, however, heavily depends on the specific method of wiring currently utilized and what wires are available at each box. To give proper advice, please clearly communicate what locations have what wires. It is impossible to advise without more information.

Rich

Last edited by RHefferan; 04-26-10 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-26-10, 01:06 PM
P
Rich,
A 3-way switch refers to a light controlled by two switches...I'm fairly certain that is the accurate terminology even though logic would think it was a 2-way switch.

As far as wires. I believe this diagram shows my setup except that the switch on the far left would be a dimmer. How to wire a 3-way Light Switch or Dimmer
I need to verify it when I get home to be 100% sure though.

Thanks,

Old 04-26-10, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by pamulli
Rich,
A 3-way switch refers to a light controlled by two switches...I'm fairly certain that is the accurate terminology even though logic would think it was a 2-way switch.

As far as wires. I believe this diagram shows my setup except that the switch on the far left would be a dimmer. How to wire a 3-way Light Switch or Dimmer
I need to verify it when I get home to be 100% sure though.

Thanks,
If that diagram is accurate, the best solution would be to abandon the left switch and install your control mechanism in the right switch box. Attach power to one terminal and the load black wire to the other terminal. Connect the two neutrals. Cap off all the three wire cable wires.

There is no way to make the fan controlable from both locations equally without three way switching. It would be possible to put in two single pole switches and make one master and the other dependent on the master to be functional. This isn't typically ideal or desired, however.

Old 04-26-10, 02:45 PM
P
I was kind of thinking I'd have to abandon one of the switches and that isn't a huge deal, but was hoping there was an easy way around it. Oh well.

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: