Stacking unistrut

Old 04-27-10, 08:26 PM
Stacking unistrut

Hello,

Let's say I have a piece of strut with some conduit attached to it. I want to add more conduits, but not horizontally (there may not be enough room, obstructions along the path that the pipe would lay, etc). So one option is to attach strut on top of the existing strut. I think this is how I would do it, but not sure about the top part.

The new strut could sit on top of the square washer at the top, but then should I use another square washer on the top of the new strut, or just a fender washer and nut on the inside?

Should I use threaded rod or a fully threaded bolt? If I put the head of the bolt inside the first spring nut, it coudn't be unscrewed whereas threaded rod could be.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-10, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by romexican View Post
Hello,

Let's say I have a piece of strut with some conduit attached to it. I want to add more conduits, but not horizontally (there may not be enough room, obstructions along the path that the pipe would lay, etc). So one option is to attach strut on top of the existing strut. I think this is how I would do it, but not sure about the top part.

The new strut could sit on top of the square washer at the top, but then should I use another square washer on the top of the new strut, or just a fender washer and nut on the inside?

Should I use threaded rod or a fully threaded bolt? If I put the head of the bolt inside the first spring nut, it coudn't be unscrewed whereas threaded rod could be.

Yeah, the way you have it planned is perfect. If you were pressed for space you could also have the new strut on top of the pipes on the first piece of strut. You could fasten it either way, the flat washer or the fender washer and nut. makes no difference other than the fact that if you use the flat washer you wouldnt be able to put a conduit there.