additional light fixture

Old 04-28-10, 09:09 AM
additional light fixture

I have one light fixture in the center of my kitchen running off a single switch.
My problem is, when i am using the stove I am blocking any light given off. So i want to add an additional light fixture over the stove.
Can i just tap into the original fixture, if so, how do i go about it?
I have complete access to any wiring from the loft space.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-10, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as your wiring method contains a grounding means and you want the two lights switched together, you would just run a new cable between the old fixture box and the new location. With the power off make all the connections color to color, including the grounds.

Old 04-28-10, 10:03 AM
Thanks for your fast response, but I don't think there is any ground in the whole house, old house, old wiring

Old 04-28-10, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ungrounded circuits should not be extended. What wiring method was used to wire your house?

Old 04-28-10, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure what you mean. All i know there is a new breaker box. The wires leaving the box are not plastic sheathed but some kind cloth material

Last edited by alldonein; 04-28-10 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-28-10, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by alldonein View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. All i know there is a new breaker box. The wires leaving the box are not plastic sheathed but some kind cloth material
You almost certainly don't have a ground wire available at the previous light. Installing a new light requires, by code, that you bring the other light and the circuit up to current standards. This would require rewiring of the existing wires to include a grounding conductor.

The other option would be to pull a new circuit, but typically that's almost identical in difficulty to replacing an existing circuit with new wire. I'm sorry to say, but there's probably not a legal way to accomplish what you're asking without quite a bit of work.

Rich

Old 04-28-10, 11:21 AM
Thanks , guys.
I guess i will stay in the dark for now

Old 04-28-10, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
There is a slight chance the there are ground wires but they were fastened to the outside of the box. Simplest way is to check is tom turn off the main breaker and remove the breaker panel cover. Careful there will still be live parts in the breaker box. If you see a whole bunch of bare copper wires going to the neutral/ground bar then chances are it is grounded. To verify you would need the check for 120v from the black wire at the light to the metal box for the light with the light switch on.

If it is not grounded a third option though probably not any easier is to run a ground wire only back to the main panel ground.