Using a Relay to turn on Bathroom heater in ceiling ?

Old 04-29-10, 12:36 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I already have a bathroom / light exhaust fan in my bathroom over a shower through a gfci - installed by an electrician - it is connected to a switch with a built in timer - so that when i turn on the switch both the fan and light comes on and when i turn off the switch the lights turn off and the fan will turn off after the time i put into the switch timer.

Now i also want to add a small 250 watt infrared heater ceiling unit but not over the shower cause it's note code but several feet away over the toilet )

I want the same switch to also turn on the heater when the lights come on.

So i tried hooking up the new heater to the existing fan/light and it all worked well, EXCEPT for when i turned off the switch, yes the light and heater turned off but so did the exhaust fan - it should have stayed on for the set delay time i put in it.

So i figure the microprocessor in the fan-light switch doesn't play nice seeing the heater directly.

So now I'm thinking that i could use a 120 volt relay which should not show much draw to the microprocessor.

Would this work ok?

Which relay should i get solid state or mechanical.
Which model, spdt etc?
Which specific one for yuou electric gurus?
i was thinking of mounting in the same box as the switch - i will put a bigger box in.

would any specific from this site work good and safely? like this solid state =
40 Amp DK4917
is the INPUT voltage Seperate from the OUTPUT voltage?

http://www.a1parts.com/relays/index.html

OR
Should i just forgot about all this and use a Simple digital bathroom timer i can get at Homedepot?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Charlie123; 04-29-10 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-29-10, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
I only question why you would want a heater to come on automatically every time you entered the bathroom. Summers are quite hot and the added heat may be a little much. I would suggest having the heater on a separate switch.
BTW, congratulations on finding an electrician who understands the particular problems in a bathroom with moisture.

Old 04-29-10, 04:55 AM
D
Any relatively sensitive relay, magnetic or solid state, should work ok. You asked: is the input voltage separate from the output voltage? Not sure what you're asking. A relay transfers whatever voltage its contacts are tied to, regardless of its coil voltage or equivalent in solid state.

Old 05-01-10, 03:34 PM
E
If you tapped only the blue line, I'm wondering if that would solve your problem. I'm thinking that blue wire to the infrared -then out of infrared light tying into white neutral. This should put you in parallel with your existing shower stall light, I'm thinking. Yet leave the fan part of the switch/relay alone (red wire) - so my thinking goes.

Old 05-07-10, 12:11 AM
C
Thanks for the responses.

I hooked it the relay like in the drawing and it works fine.

The reason for the small 250 watt heater is because this is a basement bathroom and it tends to be on the chilly side near year round.

Yes i had originally tried tying in with the blue wire but the little computer in the existing timer switch didn't play nice with it?

Old 05-07-10, 04:18 PM
E
Well, if you got it, you got it all on your own. Congratulations.

Your post explaining what you have and what you would like to do was, IMO, a little on the information overload side, in the fact I had a hard time following what you actually had, as opposed to what you planned to do. I thought the wiring diagram was showing us the system you have that did not work. And the drawing included the relay. Yet now you say that the use of the relay now lets the system work how you want?

When you say the little computer inside the switch did not play nice when you had already tried the blue wire connection (prior to my own suggestion), what do you mean? Breaker tripped/sparks flying?, or ???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: