Bathroom GFI trips after raining

Old 05-02-10, 08:17 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom GFI trips after raining

I have a GFI that trips after raining, and often won't reset right away. I did replace the GFI plug in the downstairs bathroom a few months ago, but today it is tripped and will not reset. I'm at a loss. I have unplugged everything from the plugs in all three bathrooms but it still will not reset.

This problem only happens after raining that I am aware of. How can I trace the problem? All three bathrooms are at the back of the house. I'm not sure what it is, or if it is even relevant to this, but there is a wire that comes down from the junction box (which is also on the back side of the house) and is attached to a metal stake in the ground. Several wires are connected to this stake.

Any suggestions as to what may be the cause and how I can fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-10, 10:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It is possible you have an outside receptacle tied to the GFCI in the bathroom. Not supposed to be, but it is possible. Look outside for an exposed receptacle and let us know.
What "junction box" are you referring to? Is it phone or data lines? You could post a picture so we could see what you see. http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 05-02-10, 12:04 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Chandler is definitely on the right track if you have LOAD wires hooked to that GFCI. Could even have something like an exterior light hooked to that GFCI.

Old 05-02-10, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
Older code versions allowed exterior receptacles to be fed from a GFI receptacle. Typically they were downstream of the bathroom receptacle.

Old 05-02-10, 06:25 PM
B
Wow. Quick responses! Thank you for the info. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow, but for now, I can say that by junction box I meant the exterior box where the power comes to the house. However, it also looks like a wire comes down from the telecommunications box, as well. Several wires seem to be grounded to this metal spike in the ground (will pic this, too).

I'm not aware of any outside outlets, at all, but will check tomorrow. The exterior lights did seem to work, though. Also, the house was built in the early '70s, if that helps.

Old 05-02-10, 06:52 PM
F
House build in 70'S era you more likey you will have bathroom receptale feeded to outdoor receptale some case in the garage as well so map out the affected circuits.

The other thing with outdoor receptale check the cover I am pretty sure the gasket is wornout or cracked that can get water in the recetpale box and trip the GFCI.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-03-10, 01:46 AM
B
Hmmm, that's exactly what it sounds like. It's odd; we had the same problem in our last house, which was built in the mid '90s. We did have an outdoor plug on the deck there. I don't know of one at this house, but will look. The only "outside" plugs that I know of are in the garage, which worked. I will look later today when I get home from work (and post pics of the junction area).

Thanks!

Old 05-24-10, 04:39 AM
B
Problem solved!

Just wanted to say thank you for the help. Even though I never posted the pics I took, I was able to figure everything out with the posts already up.

There was an outdoor plug on our deck on the same circuit. The seal was very worn and the plugs were actually disintegrating! I replaced the receptacle and put a new wet location outdoor receptacle cover on it. So far, so good!

Thanks again!

Old 05-24-10, 09:32 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.

Old 05-24-10, 08:21 PM
F
Merci for letting us know what the issue and I am glad you able fix it.

If you have any other outdoor recepetales it will be good time to check the rest of it because if one is bad then good chance maybe the other one will be not far behind as well.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-30-10, 12:24 PM
B
nope, only outside one I know of. Wish there were one outside front! Would help at Christmastime! hehe. But that's another project