Light Fixture Install Help

Old 05-03-10, 05:58 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light Fixture Install Help

I'm installing new light fixtures in the kitchen, replacing old fluorescent lights (the shop looking kind) with new incandescent lighting. When I disconnected the fluorescent fixture, there are now just two wires coming out of the ceiling, no box; just a black and white wire wrapped in a metal sheath (I think it's called BX wire) anyways my questions are:

1) Is it safe to use the BX wire to connect new lights?
2) I will have to install a ceiling box, does it matter what type? Medal, plastic, etc.)
3) What do I do with the green ground wire that comes on the fixture since I do not have a ground wire?

Old 05-03-10, 06:44 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
just a black and white wire wrapped in a metal sheath (I think it's called BX wire)
You must install a box. You can not use a plastic box. You must use a metal box.The light would be grounded to the ground screw in the metal box.

The metal sheath of the cable provides grounding. It will provide a good ground if it it is modern cable with a bonding wire. If it is the older kind without a bonding wire the ground may not be as good.

Old 05-03-10, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
You might not be able to safely install the fixture unless your wiring has 90 degree C rated insulation. Many newer fixtures have this requirement. I don't think your cable has the correct insulation rating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: