Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Help with inspection - grounding, meter box bonded to ground, anti-oxidant, etc.

Help with inspection - grounding, meter box bonded to ground, anti-oxidant, etc.

Old 05-04-10, 08:08 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am selling my house and the buyer wants the following fixed:

> Make the following electrical repairs as identified in Buyer's
> inspection report: repairs to grounding clamp, meter panel box
> properly bonded to ground, anti-oxidant at aluminum connections in
> main panel, separation of double taps in main distribution panel, and
> individual termination of neutral wires at bus bar.

Any idea on how much will this stuff cost? Did the builder not do this correctly? I had a 220V outlet put in a couple years ago. Could that have caused this?

Old 05-04-10, 08:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
None of that is related to the 240v receptacle.

The ground clamp is outside where the ground wire connects to the ground rod and or a water pipe. Sounds like the clamp is broke. Sounds like the ground wire is aluminum and maybe corroded because antioxidant wasn't used.

Double taps sounds like they put two wires on one breaker. Most breakers aren't designed for that.

"Individual terminations of neutral wires" sounds like two wires in one hole. That is not allowed.

Old 05-04-10, 08:22 PM
R
He had to connect the 220v to the same circuit as the dryer since there were no more spots for it. Sounds like that is one of the double tapping?

Would this be something that someone could fix in a 1 hour service call with minimal costs?

Old 05-04-10, 08:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
He had to connect the 220v to the same circuit as the dryer since there were no more spots for it. Sounds like that is one of the double tapping?
That is very wrong and should never have been done. I guess I should have said it wasn't the 240 unless a jackleg electrician did something stupid.

Simplest solution would be to remove one of the 240v circuits. You may be able to use tandem breakers in your box to free up a spot. What is the make and model number of your breaker box? Can you post a picture of the breaker box? http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 05-04-10, 08:41 PM
R
I am out of town and will post it when I get back. Thanks!

Old 05-05-10, 06:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
Except for the possible issue of the doubled up circuit on the 240 volt breaker, most of these issues should be an easy fix.

Old 05-05-10, 08:17 PM
Received 105 Votes on 93 Posts
Sounds like an inspection from a 3rd party home inspector who doesn't know proper terminology to specifically identify exactly what he thinks should be done. I have never heard of a "meter panel box", but I am relatively certain he means the meter socket. Several pictures would help tremendously.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: